- Posted August 8, 2013 by
Car bomb scare hits Mindanao
A car bomb scare spread like wildfire here in Mindanao after a powerful car bomb explosion hit Cotabato City last Monday that killed 8 people and wounded 40 others.
In Pagadian City today, August 8, a suspected car bomb was detonated by bomb experts inside a parking area of a mall around two in the afternoon.
Authorities were earlier alerted by the mall management after noticing an old model Hyundai SUV with plate number YDZ- 822 parked in their area since yesterday.
It was learned though that the vehicle did not contain any bomb materials inside.
A text message is meanwhile circulating in the Davao Region alleging that "a car bomb, Mitsubishi Galant with plate number TLP 535, is on its way to Davao City".
Authorities are meanwhile taking seriously all threats be it real or prank.
Davao City Police director Sr. Supt. Ronald dela Rosa said they have received such info since last month. Task Force Davao chief Col. Casiano Monilla said text messages like that are considered as threat and should not be taken lightly or dismissed immediately as prank.
In Davao City earlier today, President Benigno Simeon Aquino revealed that some lawless groups are joining hands in a desperate effort to stop the peace process in Mindanao.
He added that the spate of bombings could be related to the ongoing operations of the military against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters which is a breakaway group of the MILF.
The Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Philippine Government is nearing completion of its peace agreement.
A total of 16 people died while more than sixty were wounded when bombs exploded in Cagayan de Oro and Cotabato cities in a span of ten days.