- Posted August 9, 2013 by
Hamilton, New Jersey
Fox Chase Mobile Mammography Service in Jeopardy in PA
Here are some additional facts about the program:
* The Fox Chase Mobile Mammography Unit is the only mobile van in the state of PA
* Last year they screened a total of 3639 women, 592 women of whom were not insured
* 20% of the women screened has a reason to return to Fox Chase for further diagnostic tests
* The Mammography Mobile worked 174 days last year, traveled to 8 counties in PA
* Last year, 11 cancers were diagnosed following a FC Mammography Mobile screening, the highest level of cancers diagnosed nationally among mobile mammography units
* FC has seen a decline in funding in FY 2013 from the Healthy Woman Program (administered through the PA Dept. of Health). The program funded the screening and subsequent diagnostic tests if needed for 400 uninsured women annually. In
FY 2013 the funding decreased to 160 women
* Fox Chase has used donations in the past the make up the difference in funding needed to screen and treat uninsured women who register for the mobile mammography but have run out of money
* What is unique about FC, following a positive mammogram, FC will cover the costs of necessary diagnostic tests (ultrasound, biopsy, pathology, etc.) and even provide a rides to FC if the woman us able to get herself there. The Healthy Woman
Program offered by select hospitals for only a certain number if women, only offers screening and no further diagnostic tests
* The FC Mobile Mammography Unit have more women register for for screening then the hospital
* The FC Mobile Mammography Unit estimates they need $150,00 to continue to offer the program to uninsured women.
We reached out to Linda Hammell, Director of the Cancer Screening Program, but she was unavailable for comment at the time of this story.
Link to Fox chase program is below, we hope that you can help support this programs noble initiative in the state of PA.