- Posted August 10, 2013 by
hout bay, south africa
This iReport is part of an assignment:
100 Ways to Travel Better: Your tips
Ditch Your Hotel: Why Self-Catering Apartments Are Fun
• Do your own laundry. As many times as you want. For FREE (or the cost of buying laundry detergent). Try getting your laundry done in a hotel and not crying over the cost.
• Mix up dining out with dining in. Sometimes dining out can actually be a drag: the long, choreographed stages of appetizer, main, dessert. In your self-catered accommodation, cooking in has you shopping in the local market and living like a local.
• Avoid awkward situations. You know that time (ok, many times) you forgot to put the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the hotel door? No more annoying knocks on the door in a self-catering option.
• Explore a neighborhood like it’s your own. In a self-catering accommodation, you are encouraged to investigate your surroundings in preparing your kitchen. Hotels, alternatively, give you little impetus to explore beyond their grounds.
Self-catering accommodation has you living like you’re at home, just in a different location, with all of the fun that exploring someplace new brings. And getting out there, learning and exploring, is what travel is all about.
(photo caption: View from the balcony of our self-catered 'beach penthouse' in Hout Bay, South Africa)
|This iReport is part of an assignment that we created with Travel + Leisure: 100 Ways to Travel Better: Your tips|