- Posted August 11, 2013 by
Fascism at its Finest: Or Reincarnation of Nero:
Flying across the internet waves recently was a young ex-Illinois Senator’s speech from 2007 which seemed to be addressing the actions of President Obama. Yet, it was the very presidential candidate Obama who said, “This administration (George W. Bush) also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand.” Candidate Obama also added, “Ignoring the law when it is inconvenient.” You might even say that candidate Obama echoed the words of Ben Franklin who once stated, “Those who give up freedom for security neither deserve freedom or security.” In addition, by recently declaring, “Our Constitution works,” it’s quite obvious that President Obama didn’t anticipate all the negative repercussions from Operation Fast and Furious, the IRS “targeting” scandal, the AP phone hacking dilemma, and the NSA surveillance program. Candidate Obama also proclaimed, “The law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers, and justice is not arbitrary.” Indeed, these types of messages were very self-serving for candidate Obama, but as President Obama, the familiar song is, “To keep the American people safe and concerns about privacy…there are some tradeoffs involved.” Not long ago, President Obama also said, “You can complain about big brother…I think we’ve struck the right balance,” and added, “Personal intrusion is only moderate.”
History has definitely proven that fascism — hidden and in its infancy — is one of the favorite songs of the general public. Is it any different this time?
In Roman history, few emperors are as reviled as Nero, who famously fiddled while the beautiful city of Rome burned. Most historians believe Nero allowed the city to burn so there would be space for his own grand palace. In the end, Nero was undone by his pettiness; his tyranny and his extravagance.
Thankfully, America does not have an emperor; it does have a public servant in the highest office. The President is responsible for his or her actions and stands before the voters every four years. The current President, Barack Obama, was elected twice and now does not have to worry about his approval ratings or another election. He is term limited and free to pursue his liberal agenda to his heart’s content.
He is also free to enjoy the perks of the highest office without suffering the wrath of the voters.
This week, as his country is in the midst of a poor economy and his citizens are not allowed to visit the White House because of budget cuts, the President and his family will be taking another extravagant vacation at Martha’s Vineyard, the playground of the rich. The Obama family enjoys the lifestyles of the rich and famous and has vacationed in exotic locales like Mexico, Bahamas, Aspen, Palm Beach, New York, Hawaii, Spain, and Africa to name only a few.
President Obama has just returned from a $100 million trip to Africa. While there was “official business” to conduct on this visit, there was also plenty of time for sightseeing. No need to worry about any “official business” at Martha’s Vineyard. The First Family will be enjoying the sights, while the President will be enjoying the golf course. They will be staying in an $8 million mansion, owned by a Democratic activist and donor.
Who knows how much this will cost the American taxpayer? It costs $180,000 per hour to operate Air Force One and the Secret Service entourage is extensive and expensive. During a recent trip to Hawaii, the two day hotel costs for agents was an eye popping $83,000.
The President will be traveling while American embassies remain closed in the Middle East, its relationship with Russia is at a crisis point and his fellow Americans are reeling from the effects of his economic policies. As he plays golf, there is still a budget stalemate with Congress, forcing the Defense Department and many other federal agencies to furlough employees.
In the last jobs report, 37,000 more Americans left the workforce altogether, joining 90 million Americans who are either unable or unwilling to find gainful employment in the Obama economy. A record 47.5 million Americans are now receiving food stamps, while millions of others receive some type of government assistance.
Of all of the jobs that have been created during the Obama years, an amazing 77% have been part-time positions, which hardly providing adequate wages to raise a family in this tough economy. With these long term problems impacting the labor force, it is more than ironic that the President disbanded his Jobs Council.
At this point, it would be a show of solidarity with Americans if the President and his family toned down their extravagant lifestyle, which is provided by beleaguered taxpayers.
Of course, the Obama family does not feel such concern for their fellow citizens. They will continue to soak the taxpayers until the final hours of the President’s term. Therefore, Congress should pass legislation which limits the budget for presidential vacations, so the taxpayers are not funding an American version of royalty.
20 Questions Americans Would Be Asking Barack Obama If He Were A Republican
If the mainstream media were a college class, Republicans would be taking advanced calculus taught by a short tempered professor from South Korea with bad English, while Democrats would be taking remedial reading pass/fail. In other words, as long as liberals don't do anything to embarrass the Democrat Party, they get treated with kid gloves while all Republicans should assume reporters would just as soon punch them in the throat as ask them a question. What this means is that Obama seldom has to deal with tough questions a Republican in his shoes would have to hear asked on an almost daily basis. That was the case in 2008, it was the case in 2012 and it's still the case today. Whether you're talking about press conferences, cable news shows, or the editorial pages, Barack Obama should be hit with questions like these on a regular basis until he comes up with some real answers instead of stonewalling or ignoring them until they're heard no more.
1) Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan "described himself as mujahedeen" and yelled “Allahu Akbar” as he murdered 13 of his fellow soldiers. As Commander-In-Chief, do you agree with the Department of Defense report that labeled that killing as"workplace violence" or was that an act of terrorism?
2) Do you regret aggravating racial tensions in America by inserting yourself into the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case by saying, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon?"
3) Americans died in Benghazi and it’s a "phony scandal" -- Would you tell a mother who lost a son there that it was a "phony scandal?"
4) If it's legal for you to unilaterally delay the implementation of the Affordable Care Act's Employer Mandate without Congress having a say, couldn't a Republican President legally choose to unilaterally delay or stop the entire bill?
5) How can the American people trust the federal government to have their private data on file when we already know unreliable people like Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning are being given access to that data? Beyond that, given that your administration has refused to come clean about what you're doing and has been caught lying on more than a few different issues, how can the American people just take your word for it when you say that private information about American citizens you have no right to view isn't being looked at anyway?
6) If Republicans send you a bill without funding for Obamacare in it, are you willing to shut down the government to fund the program?
7) Your administration is flat out refusing to enforce existing immigration law. Since that's the case, shouldn't the American people assume that if a comprehensive immigration bill were to pass that grants legal status to undocumented Americans in return for tough new laws, that the new laws wouldn't be enforced either?
8) Given that the IRS has illegally targeted Tea Party groups, isn't it reasonable for Republican groups to demand that the IRS not be allowed to participate in Obamacare?
9) Unarguably, the economy has performed extremely poorly since you became President. Do you think you've made any mistakes that helped cause the problem? If so, what are they?
10) Do you consider your administration's strategy in Egypt, Syria, and Libya to be a success? If not, what did you do wrong that caused you to fail?
11) Early on in your administration, Hillary Clinton rather famously presented a button to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that was supposed to say "reset," but actually said "overcharge." Since the Russians are refusing to hand over Edward Snowden, is it fair to say that the "reset" failed and that relations have actually deteriorated since you took over from George Bush?
12) Are you now willing to admit that a lot of the promises made to the American people to sell the Affordable Care Act just weren't true? Prices are going up for most people, not down. Congress is getting the cost of its care supplemented. Not everybody is going to get to keep his doctor. It goes on and on. Do you feel any attacks of conscience over all the lies that were told? Does it keep you up at night?
13) In 2008, you promised to change how things worked in Washington and bring unity to the country. Obviously you've failed and things have gotten very hostile between you and the Republicans in Congress. Do you believe you've done anything to contribute to the polarization in the country and the acrimonious relationship you have with Republicans or do you believe you haven't made any mistakes?
14) After seeing the behavior of Anthony Weiner, Eliot Spitzer, and Bob Filner, are Americans justified in asking if your party is engaged in a war on women?
15) Many people have compared your administration to the Nixon Administration because of the stonewalling of Congress, using executive privilege to keep the truth from Congress, and because the IRS has been used against your political enemies. Do you think that it's fair to compare your behavior to Richard Nixon's behavior before he was almost impeached and if not, why not?
16) If Al-Qaeda has been decimated and it’s on the run, why have we had to recently close down 22 embassies and consulates because of the threat from Al-Qaeda?
17) The IRS is still flagging and holding Tea Party applications. So not only was the IRS's behavior a problem, it still is a problem today. Why did your administration allow this to happen, why haven't you taken action to fix the problems at the IRS, and what are you going to do to ensure that the IRS doesn't continue to target your political opponents on your watch?
18) How do you justify going on extravagant vacations and sending hundreds of millions to the Egyptians and Palestinians when you're cancelling Easter Egg rolls at the White House and pleading poverty because of the sequester?. Aren't you deliberately sabotaging parts of government that are popular with the country to give the false impression that the sequester is having a serious impact on government spending?
19) To this day, we still don't know what you were doing during the Benghazi attack, what directives you issued, why your administration lied about what was going on, whether you had good reason to have such lax security in the first place, and whether Americans troops could have potentially arrived in time to save the lives of the men who died. When is your administration going to come clean so that the families of the men who lost their lives can have some peace?
20) In 2012, you said, "We refused to throw in the towel and do nothing. We refused to let Detroit go bankrupt. We bet on American workers and American ingenuity, and three years later, that bet is paying off in a big way." Since Detroit has now gone bankrupt, do you think that bet is still paying off or did the American people waste billions of dollars for nothing? Do you think you deserve any blame for Detroit going bankrupt? How about unions? Are they a significant part of the problem in Detroit?
Instead of being able to answer these questions, Obama is enjoying Martha’s Vineyards and playing golf.
Fortunately, US is not a monarchy or an empire. The Americans don’t have a King or an Emperor; however, we should demand a President who is in touch with the needs of his people and aware of their condition.
This President seems hopelessly tone deaf to the economic problems in the United States, but he is very aware of vacation plans and how to make a tee time at the local golf course.
While he has played 133 rounds of golf as President, the U.S. death toll has reached 2,260 in Afghanistan. At home, poor economic conditions have added to the economic disparity between the rich and poor and it is no surprise that race relations have worsened since the President has done nothing to bring the races together.
Nero fiddled, Obama golfed. Rome burned, the U.S. is burning.
Dr.Bikram Lamba, a political & business strategist, can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org