- Posted August 22, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
100 Ways to Travel Better: Your tips
Wheels To Hire
I went to Langkawi Island in Malaysia in 2011 with my husband and sons. We rented a car for local commuting which was the best decision that we made. It gave us a liberty to roam around and explore the Island at own terms. But, renting a car requires extensive research which is both cumbersome and time consuming. Hence I would like to suggest some tips on car hiring that we did and always keep in mind since then.
Wheels to hire
Renting a car affords flexibility of movement instead of having to rely on tour operators or public transportation. Hence, we always prefer to hire a car for local commuting when we go for holidays. And, that’s what we did, when I went with my family for a holiday from Singapore to Langkawi, an island in Malaysia.
Langkawi has limited public transport facility and commuting in high-cost taxis is baseless, renting a car perhaps is the best way to explore this beautiful island. We researched on Internet for car rental companies followed by an email and calling them personally before making a booking and divulging our credit card details. Service is the most important hence look for any special service delivered by the Car Company and haggle hard.
Perceptibly there is wide choice available both for sedan and off-road 7-seater cars. Bigger cars are more expensive, at the same time could be best avoided, since one does not usually encounter bumpy roads.
Rates are often a key consideration, and good deal is basically what one looks for. Besides, it is worth considering few other factors like insurance coverage, operating hours of the rental company – some of them may not work on weekends or in early hours. Car pick-up and drop-off venue is another area of importance. Take note of Drop-off charges. As, dropping the car at different location may involve extra charges.
Although, Langkawi people are simple but to hire a licensed rental company car with insurance is advisable to prevent any unpleasant surprises. Most cars hired through the hotels are expensive having an insurance coverage, where as those taken up from other operators offer reasonable price having no insurance or limited coverage.
Cars rented here are without gasoline, hence better checkout before it runs out of steam.
Other prerequisite in the island for car hiring involves a valid driver’s license of age 21 and above with a passport.
When booking a car for vacation it is a good idea to take certain factors into consideration that we did and got the car upgraded without paying any extra.
- Take time to inspect both exterior and interior of the car
- Identify any dents or scratches, if found, list them in the rental agreement
- Take a photo when you pick up
- Be aware of the Credit card coverage policy on the type of card. Most Platinum cards cover insurance for rented cars but only if same card is used for renting it
- Be advised on the Fuel-charge policy. Some companies allow returning the car only with full tank
- One should be aware of 24-Hour-Rates as most companies charge rates for another day if the car is returned after exceeding the time
- Unlimited mileage is another important factor. Major car companies have unlimited mileage policy where as some smaller companies charge extra for any extra usage
- Always ask for an extra key
- Make sure to print the confirmation letter.
|This iReport is part of an assignment that we created with Travel + Leisure: 100 Ways to Travel Better: Your tips|