- Posted August 27, 2013 by
Does Phl president still enjoy public trust?
AFTER Monday’s social media-driven mass action at the Rizal Park in Manila, a Palace official on Tuesday said President Benigno Aquino III still enjoys public trust amid calls for the total abolition of the priority development assistance fund (PDAF), better known as “pork barrel” funds.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Palace does not see any problem with mounting protest actions for the scrapping of pork barrel as the Aquino administration is "on the same side" with the public on the pork barrel funds issue.
"The protest action is part of the democracy that we're in. So far, the public still has confidence and trust in the president," Valte told a media briefing.
Aquino announced the abolition of PDAF and the creation of a new mechanism to replace it two days before the protest action in Rizal Park.
Despite Aquino's announcement, however, the mass action pushed through with half a million Filipinos expressing their outrage over the misuse and abuse of public funds.
Dubbed the Million People March, the protest action was seen as the biggest mass action so far launched during Aquino's term.
Some political observers believe that Aquino have not abolished the “pork” but merely replaced it with a new system that still works the same as PDAF - a move that drew criticisms from the legal and professional circles.