- Posted August 28, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Everyday racism: Your stories
DISCRIMINATION, BULLYING AND HARASSMENT at WORKPLACE
#Discrimination at #Workplace is a sensitive topic & only that person can relate to it, which has gone through these experiences. For others it may just sound absurd, unreal or just a gimmick.
Our Parents taught us that God is One & Mankind prevails. So love & be kind to anyone you come across. We have career aspirations just like you do. We are not asking for any sympathy but the equality & same treatment at workplace as you deserve for all our hard work & contributions. Why should we be isolated? Why should we be victimized?
These are some of the experiences I have lived. Everyone’s experiences might be different but the underlying semantics are the same.
1. The people practicing discrimination are judgmental of others without even connecting with the other person & understanding his/her aspirations. How can you develop your perceptions in this direction & stereotype/generalize others? To think well of, to value, to recognize gratefully, to accurately estimate the quality or worth of someone else is a great quality of a True Leader. The unfair part is that it is the individuals from certain ethnic background against which these perceptions are built & judgments delivered.
2 .An excuse & bad reasoning is constructed to show the minority person down. Under the wins showcased in presentations the names of the selfish low thinking people suffering from thinking disorders shines & the one who deserves is nowhere to be found.
3. A constructive argument/discussion for these kinds of selfish, non-empathetic & egoistic people becomes a self-esteem, humility & pride issue. And believe me then they go to any extent to defend that pride using the corporate resources & causing societal decline.
4. The Firing Letters/Notices are cooked with lies & handed over to the individuals & are forced to quit. This happens to cover the inefficiencies of their bosses & the organizations they lead. And then still they walk with their heads-up in the corridors, tagging the organization as “a corrupt place to work for”, whereas others always considered it a place of worship & believed in the same at the expense of their personal sacrifices.
5. Work/Roles/Responsibilities are cherry picked & allocated. Obviously favors are being delivered! New Positions are opened in the organization & the job postings are just communicated for compliance reasons. The funny part is that (just being sarcastic, this is not actually funny) the Job Portals in which the roles are entered have Heading Descriptions that are not at all in alignment with the role/responsibilities details that are outlined when you click the heading hyperlinks. The organizations are at least trying out the principles that they sell in the market – Reusability. Brilliant minds working hard out there, right .
6. You are yelled at & F…bombs are dropped at you just because someone else did not do their job right. This is the reward one gets to be an anchor for a Difficult, Angry & Demanding Customer where you have rescued a troubled Project, built strong Customer Connections & bridged the Trust Deficit by one’s own commitment/hard work, taking ownership & accountability, thus saving from another high potential lawsuit & reputation in the marketplace.
7. Your emails/communications are not acknowledged & then if there is some miss you are to blame. And if by mistake emails are acknowledged, the meaning of the email text is misinterpreted to their benefit to showcase their supremacy. We were taught British English (UK) & I was enrolled in English Medium School even before I turned 3 Years. Actually in our school we used to get fined Rs. 5 back in the day if we were caught speaking any language but English. Have I done an injustice to my mother tongue here? I don’t think so as I feel proud to hold the values & to be associated with my mother country & mother tongue but at the same time have learned to standup & grow in the Global One World. Just because I have a different accent as yours does not make me inferior or small.
8. To the outside world you are a Customer Centric Organization. The company’s mission statement & values revolve around it. But in real sense all the great Customer accolades & solid appreciations that one receives are just part of the performance review process & are subjected to their ignorance that is riding high to protect their agendas & egos.
9. Even though all these higher ups are having good fun out there at the pretext of Customer Meetings, exotic dinners, bar/lounges & breakfast trips, you are supposed to follow them to request work – Can I help you in any way? If emails are not acknowledged, you are supposed to call them, if still they don’t respond you are supposed to setup conference calls with them & even if they do not accept the meeting invites or even if they accept & still don’t join the meeting, who are to be blamed? – It is you my friend, A Common Man. The mode of working is to keep begging for your rights! My faith, #GuruGranthSahib ji (holy bible of Sikhs), Waheguru (God, the Supreme Being, the creator of all) never taught us to beg…But standup, Follow the Path of Truth & fight for your rights. This path of truth is sharper than the edge of a double-edged sword & narrower than the width of a hair. But nothing is inevitable. One has to sacrifice self to follow this path…And I WILL!
10. Higher than norm attrition rate is claimed to be "Undergoing Transformation…..”. But what is that to this class of people, as it does not impact them in any way & it only erodes the company’s bottom-line.
The list goes on & on & on….It is endless…
Just ignoring this behavior & these practices is not the answer. The downside is that these experiences of discrimination, harassment, #bullying, mental & #emotional #torture leaves such a deep mark on the individuals & their families that many times it becomes hard to heal the wounds & again start believing in one-self.
Coming to the bottom of the problem – How do we fix this Demeanor Act?
That is where #DIVERSITY kicks in. Diversity is about building Human Capital by providing an inspirational & motivating environment where Talent feels engaged & welcomed. It is about providing the best platform to stay innovative in changing world.
A big mindset shift is required to cut thru the envelope of Inequality through these communities we are part of. It will not happen overnight but we should not give-in & continue our "Strive for a Better World Together".
Parenting is the key – good & effective. The communities need to liberate children as they grow, allowing them to explore the “Uncarved Block” with fewer or no restrictions. There is a need to shred the “Superior Attitude” identity, that often times promote development of a negative attitude, consciously or unconsciously, towards minorities. We need to help next gen understand the difference between Racism & Racial Identity. We need to educate them of physical & cultural differences & help develop positive social attitude towards these differences.
Act as catalysts to this change & not the inhibitors. This form of naked racism has to stop, as there can be no compromise!
As per holy #GuruGranthSahib ji: Jau tau prem khelan ka chao. Sir dhar tali gali mori aao.
“If you wish to play the game of love (love for almighty & mankind), come my way, with your head on the palm of your hand.” (…basically follow the path of truth without fear)
This is the moral & spiritual struggles that many ethnic diversities have gone through for the love of mankind & its service. Don’t let these sacrifices go away!
“MANKIND WILL ENDURE WHEN THE WORLD APPRECIATES THE LOGIC OF DIVERSITY!”