- Posted September 16, 2013 by
NAPOLES HAD LUNCH AT THE PALACE BEFORE SHE SURRENDERED TO AQUINO
‘Napoles had lunch at Palace before she surrendered to PNoy’
September 16, 2013 at 2:06am
("An excerpt from the Article of Senator Kit Tatad")
'Napoles had lunch at Palace before she surrendered to PNoy’
By Francisco S. Tatad | Posted 2 hours ago | 354 views
Contrary to what the nation and the rest of the world have been led to believe, President Benigno S. Aquino III spent several hours in “closed- door conversations” with Janet Lim Napoles, the suspected mastermind in the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam involving selected opposition lawmakers, before showcasing to the media her formal “surrender” to “the only person she trusted,” on the evening of August 28, 2013, authoritative sources have revealed.
This incredible detail was completely left out of Malacanang’s official statement, which had sought to present Aquino’s meeting with Napoles as no more than a 10-minute affair that ended an otherwise fruitless manhunt of a celebrated fugitive from justice, and was witnessed by several Cabinet members and duly recorded for posterity by the Malacanang press office.
The revelation is certain to be denied, for obvious reasons, but it comes from highly authoritative sources whose loyalty to Aquino is exceeded only by their loyalty to the truth and who shared the story with extreme pain and sadness. They just could not bear what to them is a “grand deception,” a deliberate and cold-blooded attempt to mislead and deceive the people on Malacanang’s real role and interest in the Napoles case.
To them, it affects the whole fabric of morality in government, and ultimately Aquino’s moral fitness to remain in office.
“This is worse than Nixon’s Watergate,” they said. “They’ve taken all of us for a ride, with no compunction or remorse. They are all morally bankrupt; they have no respect for the truth.”
Watergate refers to the 1972 U.S. political scandal, arising from the break-in at the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C. and the Nixon administration’s attempt to cover up its involvement. It eventually led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon on August 9, 1974, and the indictment, trial, conviction and jailing of 43 officials, many of them top government officials.
Until her celebrated “surrender”, which took the nation by surprise, the 49-year-old Napoles had been a fugitive, having gone into hiding from August 14 when the Makati Regional Court Branch 150 ordered her and her brother, Reynald “Jojo” Lim arrested, in connection with a charge filed by the National Bureau of Investigation for the alleged serious illegal detention of her 31-year-old cousin and former employee Benhur Luy.
Luy was an employee of Napoles’s JLN Group of Companies, said to be in charge of several projects funded by the Priority Development Assistance Fund of lawmakers, some of which had been denounced as “scams.” However in March this year, Benhur’s parents Arturo and Gertrudes and siblings Arthur and Annabelle told Justice Secretary Leila de Lima that they had lost contact with him since last December. They believed he was being held against his will by Janet Lim Napoles and her brother Reynald in any of the places they owned or occupied. The Luys asked De Lima’s help in rescuing Benhur.
On March 22, 2013, NBI agents “rescued” Benhur and arrested Reynald Lim from a Napoles condominium in the South Wings Gardens of Pacific Plaza Tower at Bonifacio Global City. Luy then proceeded to execute affidavits, with five other whistle-blowers, describing Napoles’s alleged operations using the PDAF of senators and congressmen to fund ghost projects of bogus non-governmental organizations.
On April 17, 2013, Napoles wrote the President a letter saying, in part: “We write with feelings of utmost disappointment, desperateness, and extreme fear for our lives, as well as those of our loved ones, as a result of the continuous threats, intimidation, and even physical harm being inflicted upon us by several unscrupulous individuals, in cohorts (sic) with some ‘corrupt’ agents of the NBI.” This letter was reported to have been prepared with the assistance of the Executive Secretary’s former law office.
The letter was apparently read with uncharacteristic speed—some rather important letters to the President had been reported lost or gone unread. The next day De Lima directed the NBI to investigate Napoles’s allegations. The NBI denied the allegations.
On June 10, the DOJ dismissed the charge of illegal detention against Napoles and her brother for lack of probable cause. But the NBI moved for reconsideration, and the DOJ granted the motion.
On August 14, the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 issued a warrant for the arrest of Napoles and her brother. But they immediately went missing.
In an interview with a morning broadsheet much later, Aquino said he suspected Napoles had been tipped off on her impending arrest by somebody in the NBI, adding that the bureau had some “rats” in it—people who were “less trustworthy.” No less than the President was now accusing the NBI of aiding and abetting the suspect who had earlier accused the bureau of trying to do her harm. Unable to take this from the President, NBI Director Nonnatus Rojas resigned irrevocably on September 2, 2013.
By then Benhur Luy had become a primary source of media material about Napoles’s alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam over a period of 10 years, involving some lawmakers. Fueled by social media, public indignation against the alleged scam reached fever pitch in no time, and provoked massive anti-‘pork’ rallies in the country and abroad on Aug. 26. This prompted Aquino to order a manhunt from Manila to Mindanao, and announce a P10-million bounty on Napoles’s head, which hit the press on the morning of Aug. 28.
The Philippine Coast Guard, despite its limited capability, immediately launched its search for three “missing” yachts which Napoles reportedly owned and could have used to cross international waters. But on that very same day the fugitive turned up in Malacañang and “surrendered” to the President.
(For the full article.. please visit this link: http://manilastandardtoday.com/2013/09/16/napoles-had-lunch-at-palace-before-she-surrendered-to-pnoy/?fb_action_ids=10151813390778941&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151813390778941%22%3A417545641679762%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151813390778941%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D)