- Posted September 17, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Join Carolyn Wysinger & Glover Lane Press at The Long Beach ArtExchange For A BOOK SIGNING!
- Call for Erotica Cum Just As You Are: Spiritual and Religious Erotica
- Publishing With A Purpose!
- THE BAKLA SHOW III SET TO PREMIERE AT BINDLESTIFF STUDIO [JUNE 2014] WILL EXPLORE THE THEME: “LGBTQ/GNC F/PILIPIN@ YOUTH EXPERIENCES” Call for submissions open July 2013
The Bakla Show 3 2013 Call for Submissions
In direct response to the dangers of bullying and homophobia that has gained more attention in the past few years due to an increase of visibility in gay teen suicide, The Bakla Show 3 is focused on giving voice, visibility and community to the unique experience of LGBTQ/GNC Filipino youth.
“Adolescence is a time when all individuals must struggle with life changes, but Asian American adolescents face additional risk factors that may place them more at risk. Filipino American youth experience the harsh reality of racism and prejudice, and the grueling process of acculturation that highlights the conflicts of Filipino and American values.”
(Source: Depression & Suicidal Ideation among Young Asian Americans, Yellowworld, 2.)
We encourage established and novice LGBTQ Filipino writers, especially LGBTQ Filipino youth, across the nation to participate. All submissions will be reviewed and chosen by a panel of esteemed writers, artists, and community leaders. If chosen, submissions will be produced for stage in our theatrical production at Bindlestiff Studio in the heart of the SOMA in San Francisco (or have an opportunity to be featured in a future Bakla Show publication). At this time, we are accepting submissions from participants age 18 and older.
Note: Manuscripts may be under consideration elsewhere, but please notify us immediately if your story is accepted for publication. The Bakla Show retains first publication rights and the right to publish a portion of the story on its website. All rights revert to the author upon Bakla Show 3's entrance into post-production.
• Email submissions to email@example.com with Subject title: “BAKLA SHOW Submission: TITLE_Last Name”
• Documents should be in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF formats. Please format your document legibly (standard margins, legible font like Helvetica or Times New Roman). Please be sure to include your last name and page number at the footer of each page.
• All submissions must include cover letter/video introduction (upload to YouTube and email us link) that provides:
o Name, contact details and any pertinent biological information of the participant
o Your thoughts on why you want to be chosen to be shown/produced in the Bakla Show 3 theatrical production and why such a production is important to you and your communities.
o Why you believe your particular script is important for inclusion in the Bakla Show 3 theatrical production
o Include a brief publication history for the piece you are submitting.
• Submission Period Opens: August ??, 2013
• Submission Period Ends: November 30, 2013
• Entrants will be notified by January ??, 2014
About The Bakla Show 3:
Shannon Lee L. Pacaoan (Producer/Co-Editor) –
Antmen Mendoza (Assistant Producer) -
Lolan Sevilla (Anthology Co-Editor) -
NAME (Panelist) -
NAME (Panelist) -
[I was thinking I could copy and paste bios here or just link to the post on Wordpress http://thebaklashow.wordpress.com/productions/the-bakla-show-3-production-team/]
The Bakla Show Mission: The Bakla Show aims to educate, challenge, and encourage dialogue among and between different ethnic and sexually diverse communities by means of increasing the visibility of Filipino American LGBTQ/GNC experience through theatrical stage performance.
Bindlestiff Studio Mission: To cultivate artists who reflect and celebrate the diverse values, traditions, and histories of Philipino and Filipino American cultures through bold artistic expression and community engagement.
Watch Our Trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZltpknjfKJI