- Posted October 8, 2013 by
Team iReport featured this story
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Raising America: How parents see the news
Building Consent Culture in Young People
As people reach college, the education would continue. “At the college level, there are ways college students can encourage a positive consent culture. Like with the parties they throw, if the music is too loud and people can’t hear each other, research has shown that more sexual violence happens at loud parties,” he said.
- zdan, CNN iReport producer
But it doesn't have to be this way! There are simple things we can do to build cultures of positive sexuality and consent!
- Teach young people how to ask for consent in fun and sexy ways!
- Engage young men in building more positive masculinity.
- Transform sex education to incorporate more messages about positive sexuality and healthy relationships
- Teach young people simple things they can do to make parties more preventative of sexual violence.
- Teach young men how to stand up to problematic sentiments like the one in the email.
But we have to start early! Parents can begin by teaching consent from an early age, and we can engage young men in building more positive masculinity.