- Posted October 10, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Protests in Egypt: Your experiences
What it means cutting US aid to Egypt
* Arab world opinion of the U.S. and President Obama at all time low and by cutting aid to Egypt in a time when Egypt is fighting the terrorism of Muslims Brotherhood, no doubt Egyptians will confirm their believes that Obama Administration is supporting Muslims Brotherhood and the United States was said to have planned to destabilize Egypt. For the first time in 40 years, Israel was described as an enemy in media outlets and American flag was burned in Tahrir Square. The funny thing is Obama Administration is supporting those who raised Al Qaeda flag over American Embassy in Cairo. Egyptians underscored their hatred of the United States by hanging a huge poster of Vladimir V. Putin, the Russian president, alongside one of General Sisi. The words above Mr. Putin’s image read: “Bye, Bye, America.”
* The Camp David Accords were signed by then Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat and then-Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin on September 17, 1978, following 13 days of secret negotiations at Camp David in Washington D.C. Egypt became the first Arab nation to recognize Israel as a neighbor. Part of this treaty was US Aid to Egypt. Since Egyptian Army with Egyptians foiled Muslims Brotherhood plans to hand over Sinai to Hamas. Do Egyptians expect a war with Israel in the near future?
* Cutting the Aid to Egypt means revoking a peace treaty with Israel that lasted more than 40 years. Why any Arab country would accept peace and recognize Israel if a peace treaty was revoked that lasted 40 years .
* US aid has worked to cement close military cooperation between the United States and Egyptian government, and discouraging local states from engaging in uncontrollable arms races. For more than 40 years US was the only military source to Egyptian Army, now Egyptian Army will be able to diversify its sources of arms and not to rely on America as a key source of weapons, shopping around from different sources including Russia and China to equip its army. Israel possesses some 80 nuclear warheads — rather fewer than once thought, and lower than the nuclear arsenal of countries that are officially in possession of atomic weapons — according to the new 2013 yearbook put out by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Does Obama Administration expect may be Egypt will seek to be armed with nuclear weapons?
* Policymakers in US have often employed foreign aid to achieve its objectives. Now No more NGOs, no more Senator McCain coming giving Egyptians lectures to release Morsi who I may remind the reader called upon US to release a well known terrorist, Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman who is serving life in prison for plotting a series of bombings and assassinations and his role in planning the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center in New York City.
* U.S. aid policy has gradually evolved from a focus on preventing Soviet influence from gaining a foothold in the region. "Russia has been nurturing new alliances and reviving old friendships further afield, reaching out to countries long regarded as being within the American sphere of influence in ways that echo the superpower rivalries of the Cold War era. Those countries include Egypt and Iraq" Washington post September 30, 2013.