- Posted October 16, 2013 by
CONTEMPLATION OF WORLD FOOD DAY
Since 1945 we have a specific day to observe as ‘World Food Day’ implemented by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations . 16th October widely celebrated as the day for food security .
Only having food is not enough . Have to make sure whether it is nutritional or not . Therefore , the theme of 2013 ‘World food day ‘ is "Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition" .
Poverty is the main cause for food shortage . World Bank report says there are many countries where citizens live on less than $ 2 a day . The ground reality is value differs from country to country . While $ 2 is meager amount in USA that might be cost of one regular meal in another country depending upon currency value . But we can not be happy with this logic if want to have a world class healthy living dodging any disease out of pauperization .
Recent World Bank report says the percentage of people living below $ 1. 25 a day will fall to no more than 3% a day by 2030 .
While talking about nutrition we have to keep in mind about hygienic food . Money is not only parameter for lack of food quality . Having neat and clean food /water is the most important thing which many are not aware of or do not give more importance to this aspect .
There are several other reasons accountable for food insecurity .
1) Uneven distribution of wealth - When 90% of the wealth is in the hands of handful ten percent population then world Bank/UNO / National reports are just crocodile tears . Greediness breeds selfishness and corruption . International and national organizations wasting public money for nepotism and on undeserved people .
2) Lack of political will – Political leaders from national level to petty regional politicians are busy with their gimmick of having power and saving money for seven generations to come . Burning example is the shutdown in USA . Same here in India , while grains rotting in the godown people are not getting half-day meal but just before election cereals are selling with scanty amount . Not only politicians but governmental officers and flatterers are mainly responsible for this . They full their own and relatives store room with flour grinding in their home based wheat grinder .
3) Ignorance - Many people are ignorant of having a healthy diet within their capacity . They are not aware of taking all types of food in proper quantity . Some think round fleshed body is the mark of richness or beauty .
4) Old age tradition – Blind belief like women should not drink milk , even if one paralyses due to lack of calcium yet they will not eat egg because of religious reason . While others consider women in the kitchen cooking for hours is the symbol of well- to- do family having rich food .
5) Unhealthy habit – People having habit of cooking vegetables without washing properly or to save water they do not wash , etc .
Aim of celebration this day is to arise alertness of physical and mental habits . To bring peaceful revolution against own ill practices then taking baby steps to change our vicinity . In fact we need support of each other keeping away from narrow mind-set of groupism, jealousy and egoism .
So, call of the time is to promote shared prosperity , foster income growth of the bottom 40 percent of the population in every country.