- Posted October 17, 2013 by
A Southern Chicken Recipe
This buttermilk chicken recipe is a Southern classic fare that makes crunchy and crispy chicken on the outside while moist, tender and juicy on the inside. It is absolutely mouthwatering right down to the bone. To make the perfect fried chicken you need buttermilk, salt, black pepper, flour, vegetable oil and chicken. This flavorful chicken rivals fast food recipes for chicken that kids can’t get enough of. Serve this with buttermilk biscuits for a true Southern treat. This is also delicious with mashed potatoes, French fries, pasta, or rice. One of the most popular finger foods in the world, fried chicken makes a fun appetizer or snack for informal parties. It goes well with beer as well as with wine or soft drinks.
Some healthy chicken recipes require brining the chicken by soaking the chicken in a salt and sugar solution to increase the moisture of the meat and enhance its flavor. In this recipe, the chicken pieces are cooked in the saucepan together with the buttermilk, salt and pepper, to tenderize the meat and give it a luscious flavor from the inside out. Unlike brining, you don’t need to wait hours for the meat to soak. This is a faster method than the brining technique.
This method also not only flavors the chicken but it also flavors the buttermilk mixture with chicken essence. After cooking the chicken in the buttermilk solution, you can reduce the buttermilk and serve it as gravy. It tastes absolutely delicious with creamy mashed potatoes. Since the chicken is already moist, the flour adheres to it more easily and results in a crispy skin when it is fried. It also takes a shorter time to fry the chicken in oil since it has been already been cooked in the buttermilk. This makes it moist, juicy and flavorful on the inside and is less likely to become dry and bland tasting.
2/5 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. chicken
1 cup flour
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1. In a bowl mix buttermilk, salt and pepper; stir well.
2. Clean the chicken and cut into medium pieces.
3. Pour the buttermilk mix into a saucepan and add the chicken. Cook over a medium flame for about 25- 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and drain liquid, reserving the chicken.
4. Place flour in a deep bowl. Dredge chicken pieces through flour to coat well. Cook in hot oil over a medium-high flame until chicken is light brown. Cover and let cook on low flame till deep brown. Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and drain the excess oil. Serve chicken over rice or pasta, using reserved buttermilk mixture as gravy.