- Posted October 21, 2013 by
San Francisco, CA, California
7 Reasons For Holiday Listings - East Bay, CA Realtor Explains
It’s almost Halloween and the prime selling season has come and gone. Well, that’s what most sellers and Realtors® want to believe. Many sellers take their homes off the market during the holidays and even people who have to sell are reluctant to list their home. Most people want to concentrate on the holiday season and feel that since there are less buyers looking (which is true) it is best to wait for the first of the year. "They're dead wrong and are losing the opportunity to get more money for their home," notes Realtor®, Keith Scott Brown of Results Realty East Bay. "Over the last eight years as a realtor, I've sold more homes in the last two months of the year and helped my clients get top dollar for their homes than any time of the year. So this might be the best time to put your home on the market," adds Brown.
Here are seven reasons why now is a good time to sell:
1. Fewer Buyers -- You may ask; why is that a good thing? "Well, the San Francisco Bay Area market has been on fire with 10-20 offers per listing, but half of them aren't serious offers. The buyers out looking this time of the year are serious. You won’t have 50 'looky-loos' coming through your house at this time, you’ll have serious buyers at your house and you’ll get good offers. Anyone shopping for a home during the holidays probably needs a home," said Brown. Why else would they be out looking? "Some may be looking to relocate because of job transfers before the New Year. Tax issues can also force some investors to close before the end of the year. The San Francisco Bay Area is home to several universities and staff may be looking for homes between academic sessions," adds Brown.
2. Homes show better in the winter -- "During the holiday season, cities, neighborhoods, and homes are all dressed up with all sorts of decorations," Brown said. "Families are out and about decorating their houses. People are genuinely happier and of course, children are out trick or treating."
3. Holiday - "Furthermore, when you think of the holidays you think of home and family and the warmth that it brings," Brown said. "Your home will show at its best during this time."
4. Emotional Connection -- "Buyers, like most everyone, tend to be more emotional during the holiday season," Brown said. "People spend more money on everything, including getting the right home."
5. Time -- The increased amount of time buyers have to house-hunt during the holiday season, Brown said. "Families are together for holiday vacations so everyone is available to start looking for a home."
6. Fewer Homes -- There are just fewer homes for sale. With all the serious buyers still out there and a lower inventory of homes, your home will stand out. "Less competition means more money in your pocket! There are fewer homes for sale in December than in any other month," notes Brown.
7. Competition -- Brown suggests the final reason to sell now is that in January all the sellers who have been waiting to sell put their homes on the market. "Inventories rise tremendously which means more competition for you. With competition, sellers list their homes at a lower price and this drives down home values."
If you’re truly motivated to sell, now’s the time. If you absolutely have to sell, don’t be discouraged. Act now to get the most for your home. "A good agent can sell your home easily and efficiently. It's our job to shoulder the burden of selling your home, allowing you more time with you family and more money in your pocket," adds Brown.
Keith Scott Brown, is a member of the Contra Costa Board of Realtors, the California Association of Realtors, and the National Association of Realtors. His active membership in these organizations ensures that he stays informed of every pertinent aspect of real estate relevant to local, state and national regulation and law.
CONTACT: Keith Scott Brown, Realtor®, BRE# 01441505