- Posted October 22, 2013 by
New Haven, Connecticut
Frank Pepe Pizzeria in New Haven CT Ranks #1 in The Daily Meal's 101 Best Pizzas in America
Ranks #1 in The Daily Meal's 101 Best Pizzas in America
October 22, 2013, New Haven, CT: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, a third-generation owned and operated pizzeria, continues to earn rave reviews with their newest accolade from the popular online food magazine The Daily Meal. Ranked #1 in The Daily Meal's “101 Best Pizzas in America”, the Frank Pepe story began nearly 90 years ago in 1925, in the Wooster Square neighborhood of New Haven, CT. Often touted as a “New Haven Institution”, Pepe’s, as it is affectionately known, is really all about creating pizza utilizing one family’s recipes, methods and passion for the Napoletana style pie that patriarch Frank Pepe grew up with in the town of Maiori, on the Amalfi coast of Italy.
This past September, Pepe’s opened their seventh location in West Hartford, CT, keeping to their signature modest décor, family atmosphere, and simple menu. The focal point of a Frank Pepe restaurant is the coal-fired pizza oven which fires up to 600 degrees. Décor consists of white subway tiles, table and booth seating, and vintage photographs of Frank Pepe and his family. Pepe’s pizza is famous for its crisp, chewy crust and highest quality traditional toppings. A fresh salad, a few beer and wine selections and soft drinks complete Pepe’s unpretentious menu. Such is the allure and tradition of a true Pepe’s experience. Some Pepe’s Pizza facts:
- Crusts are hand formed so no two shapes are exactly alike.
- Pizzas are cut in various size and shape pieces, accommodating all tastes at the table.
- Served on hotel style sheet pans, customers have learned to become creative in their strategic table planning.
- Pepe’s popular fresh clam pie is made with daily hand-shucked fresh clams, up to 90 bushels a week.
- The Original Tomato Pie comes with grated cheese – you must ask for mozzarella.
- East Haven’s Foxon Park Sodas, served in 12- ounce and 1 liter bottles, have been served at Pepe’s since 1925.
- Pizza to-go is not pre-sliced.
- Fresh tomato pie only available July 1 -through Labor Day.
Prestige and media highlights include; Travel and Leisure naming Frank Pepe "1 of the 30 best Italian restaurants in America"; Frank Pepe is the first CT pizza restaurant to be recognized by the James Beard Foundation, touting it as “An American Classic”; and Frank Pepe has been featured on the History Channel's "American Eats” show as the originator of New Haven style pizza.
The White Clam pizza, a signature Pepe pie, made with freshly shucked clams clams, grated Parmesan, olive oil, garlic, and oregano is what lured Daily Meal writers to vote for this Connecticut institution.