- Posted October 22, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Applauding Editorial Group
On October 21 , 2013 editorial board of ‘ New York Times ‘ made proud fourth pillar of any democratic system by their article ‘ Beijing’s Assault on Academic Freedom’ . This is about the dismissal of outspoken Professor Xia Yeliang . They also condemned arrest of businessman Wang Gongquan for supporting human rights cause and “assembling a crowd to disrupt order in a public place.” High spirited editorial board mentioned the government’s ideological and political hold over the university, which makes a mockery of its claim to academic freedom.
There are two institutions which build backbone of any society , they are family and educational institution . But unfortunately academic organs become stationary shops in the hands of local politicians , government officials and their relatives . No need to explain about corrupted, unserviceable employees .
Let’s site an example of reality in India . One branch of foreign schools in India , which teaches students from abroad . No matter it is corporate , franchise , whatever . But running by locals or indigenous staff . Important point is THEY DRAW SALARY , IS FOREIGN FUNDED MONEY .
Now the stark actuality should be started from employee appointment .
(1) Appointment - All of their staff belong to different local lobbies . Some posts created for relatives of government officials even if the position not mentioned in the institute’s norms . If you do not belong to any local group and by mistake appointed passed by sheer interview , experience etc then your career life will die by bullying , false accusation etc .
(2) If you are a woman you can buy local or colleague support by posing yourself as commodity .
(3) Status quo of unethical customaries will be burdened on you otherwise you will be leveled as “unsupportive worker not fit in our place “.
(4) Ridiculous thing is , they are getting money from foreign sources, working for them , not only they, their relatives also getting opportunity dealing with foreign students . For example these students live with “Home Stay Families” . Some government relatives have quota to keep students in their and relatives place . So, all of them earning foreign funded money yet oust an impartial staff for their fear of finding themselves lower than eligible employee and discrediting as not eastern minded , even they do not shy away from interfering the staff’s personal life decisions .
All are fish of same dirty pond .
(5) They have unique rule that subordinate employees choose the higher authority who can be puppet in their hand . They can defy the decision of center with local illegitimate power .
As the editorial group mentioned , if international partners take strong action, then not only in Peking University but in India or any part of the world , affirmative and effective reforms will come .