Stressed out? Try Coach Romi's 7-point Strategy
Stress seem to be a common word used by everyone these days regardless of their age, sex or occupation. Life is busy and full of expectations, deadlines, and frustrations that cause pressure. Technology is meant to help us but instead it makes us lazy, dependent and adds more to our "Stress" (imagine how much more free time we would have if there were no social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram).
We have two types of stress - physical and mental. Physical stress is our body's response to pressure where via release of stress hormones including Adrenaline and Cortisol to prepare our body for emergency. It causes a boost due to increased heart rate, higher blog pressure, speedy reaction time and enhanced focus. Mental Stress occurs due to problems in life, excessive worry and feeling of being stuck with no hope.
Physical stress in small doses helps us get over challenges, for example, extra strength for self-defense during physical attack, or slamming on brakes to avoid an accident. Mental stress can get us in a stuck state and in some cases leads to health issues and depression.
Common causes of stress:
• Major changes in life
• Work, relationship, or financial problems
• Poor time management
• Family problems
• Fear of the unknown (uncertainty)
• Negative attitude or negative self-talk
• Unrealistic expectations
• Low self-esteem
But Romi, how do I deal with Stress?
Talk to any motivational speaker and you will get one answer - "Be Positive". There’s more to being positive than simply thinking that everything is perfect. What we need is Positive Attitude, i.e. positive outlook on life. Positive attitude makes us mentally strong and lets us handle extreme pressure and avoid stress. Although there are thousands of books on this topic, I will provide simple techniques to help you get a positive mindset.
Romi's 7-point strategy to build a positive attitude:
1. Accept yourself: We are all worthy of happiness and a good life. Challenges in life don't mean you don't deserve happiness. Find ways to overcome challenges.
2. Self-Talk: Instead of focusing on problems, focus on solution and what you want. For example, say "I want to be successful/financially free" instead of "I am broke", and say "I want to be fit" instead of "I am fat, nothing works”.
3. Clear your mind: Meditate on a regular basis. Meditation helps clear thought-clutter and allows us to have focus - a lost quality these days. You can pray, listen to relaxing music, go to the beach, or sit in your room (with TV, phone, computer off) and observe your thoughts.
4. Have a go-to person: Most people have coaches, mentors or a friend who they can turn to during tough times. Look in your network and seek a positive person who you can turn to for advice. This person can analyze your situation and guide you in the right direction when you feel lost.
5. Exercise: Exercise helps eliminate stress hormones and strengthen our body and mind. Exercise keeps us fit and boosts self-confidence (it also prevents diseases and common health issues).
6. Nutrition: This goes hand in hand with exercise. Balanced nutrition including raw fruits/vegetables and healthy fats is critical for brain function and health.
7. Your Network: We become like the people we surround ourselves with. Our personal (or professional) network can either make our attitude positive or negative. Therefore, choose your friends wisely, and surround yourself with positive and happy people.
Even positive people get stressed, but positive mindset allows them to manage stress and find a solution. Stress is temporary and we always overcome it, we need to be mentally tough and do what it takes to win.
Think of this quote when you are stressed out:
"When everything seems like an uphill Struggle, just think of the view from the top"