- Posted December 9, 2013 by
- Mike Warren and "Shark Tank" Kevin Harrington Business-Flipping Bootcamp
- Stop The Insanity - A free book on how to end the struggle of dieting and losing weight forever
- Majestic Launches Premium Leather Conditioner & Cleaner On Amazon.Com
- Lake Mary Realtor Honored at Awards Banquet for Top Real Estate Sales in 2013
- House Flipping and Rehab Investing Expert Reveals The Science Of Flipping Houses
Detect Cancer In 10 Minutes
December 4 (San Diego) – A Portuguese designer has invented a device that allows trained bees to detect cancer and other serious diseases.
Wasps and honey bees have a very sensitive sense of smell. They are able to smell airborne molecules in concentrations as small as several parts per trillion.
Bees can seek out over 60 odors that include tuberculosis, uranium and methamphetamine as well as diabetes, lung and skin cancer and fungal disease as well as detecting pregnancy.
Susana Soares said exposing bees to a certain odor, then linking that odor to food produces a Pavlovian response within about 10 minutes.
This approach can be used with numerous manmade and natural odors and chemicals as well as biomarkers for some diseases.
Soares said she is adapting current technology so it produces objects and systems that are understandable and useful to people. This particular device consists of a small chamber where the bees are exposed to the smells and a larger chamber where other bees are kept as a control.
The person breathes into the small chamber. Then if the bees smell the odor they were trained to detect, they fly into the smaller chamber.
Learn more here: http://www.bewellbuzz.com/wellness-wednesdays/bees-detect-cancer/