- Posted December 11, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Tagum Mayor Rellon put up P100,000 reward money to arrest killers of slain broadcaster Butalid
Speaking during the Philippine Information Agency-sponsored media forum "BizTalk" at the Big 8 Corporate Hotel in Tagum City, the mayor denounced the killing of Butalid and vowed to give justice to the slain broadcaster.
He bared that he has issued a directive for the creation of Task Group Tata Butalid to pursue and arrest perpetrators who killed "another good person".
Mayor Rellon said that upon learning of the crime he immediately ordered the city police chief PSupt. Solomon De Castella to hunt down the killers and produce results within immediate hours.
Butalid, 46 years old, is Rellon's classmate and political leader who ran for city councilor under the mayor's slate in the last May 2013 election.
Butalid lost in the city councilorship but he succeeded getting his second term as barangay kagawad in Barangay Mankilam in the last October barangay polls.
Butalid was known to be a lone opposition voice to the administration's barangay leadership, barangay sources said.
Media colleagues described Butalid as hard-hitting in his blocktime program "Ang Kasayuran" at Radyo Natin-Tagum, every 8 to 9 A.M., from Monday to Friday.
They said that Butalid had been receiving death threats in his cellphone in connection with his radio program.
Butalid's program is funded by the Davao del Norte Electric Cooperative (Daneco)-NEA, which has been at running rift with an opposing electric cooperative, Daneco-CDA, for more than two years now.
Daneco-CDA has also its counterpart blocktime radio programs in other FM stations in the city.
Blocktime anchors of the various radio programs had been defending and attacking and each other on various issues, the recent of which was about Daneco-CDA's "fake official receipt".
The province's oldest media group, the Davao del Norte Press & Radio-TV Club has strongly condemned Butalid's killing and called authorities to exhaust all their powers and means to arrest the perpetrators and bring them to the bar of justice.
Butalid is the third broadcaster slain in two weeks' time following Michael Milo in Tandag City, Surigao del Sur on Dec. 9 and Joash Dignos in Valencia City, Bukidnon on Dec. 11.
The Center of Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR) said that if Butalid's killing is proven media work-related, he will be the 22nd journalist killed in the line of duty.(Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)