- Posted December 17, 2013 by
- Discrimination Free Zone: Silencing Discriminatory Language One Conversation at a Time
- FIU’s School of Music and The Johnny Mercer Foundation Join Forces to Enhance Music Education
- Florida International University’s College of Architecture + The Arts (CARTA) Alumna Marlene Liriano to Receive the Distinguished Alumni Award at Torch Awards Gala
- Facebook Nation
- Miami Shores Green Day Features Great Event Lineup
Florida International University (FIU) and Royal Caribbean Sign Partnership Agreement
By Howard Miller
I am proud to serve as a volunteer member of the Dean's Leadership Advisory Board of Directors of Florida International University’s (FIU) College of Architecture + The Arts (CARTA) in Miami, Florida. The University just signed a landmark agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited (RCL) that permits RCL to build and operate a $20M state-of-the art production, rehearsal and performance facility at the FIU Biscayne Bay Campus in North Miami. The lease agreement enables RCL to train their shipboard entertainers and will be fully operational by January 2015. The cruise company’s two main brands are Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, they currently have 32 cruise ships and numerous others under construction.
The agreement contains significant educational benefits for the entire FIU community. Specifically for the College of Architecture + The Arts, the agreement contains the following:
• CARTA Access To Newly Constructed, State-Of-The-Art, 125,000 sq. ft Facility
• Jointly-Designed and Taught Customized Theatre Curriculum
• RCL Master Classes
• 10 Annual Paid Internships For CARTA Students
• CARTA Annual Student Scholarships
• CARTA Annual Faculty Research Fellow
• CARTA Annual Performing Arts Operational Funds
• RCL Annual Juried Set Design Competition
• RCL Annual Guest Speakers
• RCL Guided Tours Of Shipboard Facilities
• RCL Membership On CARTA's Dean's Leadership Advisory Board
This unique agreement establishes a sustainable, public-private-partnership that immediately enhances FIU’s curriculum and thus their students' career options, by providing experiential learning opportunities, additional subject-matter expertise, operational funds, and access to facilities and technology that they would not otherwise be able to afford.
According to Florida International University College of Architecture + The Arts Dean Brian Schriner, “this landmark collaboration was years in the making and we maintained the perspective of developing a public education/corporate collaboration that benefits both participants as partners. Moreover, it is the future of successful community engagement and corporate philanthropy.”
For more information on CARTA and FIU please visit http://carta.fiu.edu/ or http://www.fiu.edu.
About The College of Architecture + The Arts:
With more than 1,400 majors in seven academic departments—Architecture, Art and Art History, Communication Arts, Interior Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Music, and Theatre—the College of Architecture + The Arts is proud to offer undergraduate and graduate students an intimate and nurturing atmosphere that offers opportunities for individual attention while promoting the creative spirit in the pursuit of knowledge and the cultivation of imagination, intellectual curiosity, and artistic expression.
Florida International University is recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a community engaged university. Its colleges and schools offer more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU is Worlds Ahead in its local and global engagement, finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. It has 160,000 alumni and enrolls 50,000 students on two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU is a member of the Sun Belt Conference and has 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports.