- Posted December 24, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Impact Your World
- Casino Chino Making Major Industry Moves!
- True Entertainment Magazine the premium urban entertainment magazine with an edge & a heart. Hundreds of thousands of readers WORLDWIDE!
- Rising Author Sonovia Alexander Capturing Readers Nationwide
- Malta Doctor : Top Healthcare Blog to Watch in 2014 - Medical Politics Unleashed and Uncensored !
- Boss Models Fashion Week Event February 7th!
Dr. Joy Spreading Her Knowledge On Health & Wellness!
Joy had found her purpose and was on a quest to share with women the importance of taking care of themselves which sparked the idea to write – Don’t Let IT Get You! – An Empowering Health and Fitness Guide For Women. After her book was published, Joy was asked to contribute to the book – Blueprint for Success – Proven Strategies of Success with Stephen Covey and Ken Blanchard. Her chapter is titled – Passion Driven - Chapter 1, where she describes how she found her passion after working in Corporate America.
She earned her PhD and has been educating people about Total Wellness through her Seven Steps to Total Wellness – physical, nutritional, social, environmental, financial, spiritual, and emotional/mental. These all must be in balance for optimal wellness. She does this through her website, social media, speaking, guest appearances and television.
I recently spoke to her and this is what she had to say:
1. Tell us a little bit about your background and what compelled you to get into the Wellness field?
My formal education is inclusive of BS in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, MS in Statistics. My entrepreneurial journey began in 2005, when I was laid off from my Executive Level Financial Services Job. With the support of my husband, I decided to pursue my passion within the Health and Wellness space. As I commenced my entrepreneurial journey, I achieved my PhD in Natural Health and Holistic Nutrition. The regime to become a nationally ranked Track athlete, Collegiate and Masters Levels, has inspired me to keep in shape. It was a natural progression for me to move into the wellness space.
2. Is there anyone in particular that inspired you?
I am inspired by passion driven people who strive for significance and enhance the lives of others.
3. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
My passion - educating individuals about The Seven Elements of Total Wellness – physical, nutritional, social, environmental, financial, spiritual, and emotional/mental. All of these elements must be in balance to achieve optimal wellness. Motivating individuals to do their BEST is most rewarding.
4. How was your experience working with Dr. Steve?
The opportunity to work with Dr. Steve (WPIX – 11) was fun as I had the opportunity to communicate the importance of “Drinking More Water” to his viewing audience. We discussed “why” water is important for our body, “where” are the natural water sources – fruits and vegetables consisting of 90% water, “how to” calculate the proper amount to consume, and “when to” best consume water.
5. I see you are also an Author, tell us a little about your book "Don't Let It Get You"
Don’t Let “IT” Get You! An Empowering Health and Fitness Guide for Women is my personal story of achievement – how to breakthrough obstacles and people that hinder us from achieving health and happiness. Don’t Let “IT” Get You! is a complete guide which encourages physical and emotional health. Its goal is to inspire all women to achieve and maintain a fit and healthy life.
6. On your website you have a Wellness Questionnaire for people to fill out, what is that about?
The Total Wellness website assessment is available to people that would like to receive free advice “Jump Start” to improve their life. The advice provided is based on the results of an in depth assessment. Although someone might feel that they are deficient in one element, the assessment will help them understand the interdependencies of the impacts of multiple wellness elements on their holistic personal health. Based on client assessments, the leading challenge is achieving physical wellness. Many have the desire to lose excess weight and maintain a healthy weight – knowing the steps to get started is key.
7. What are your current projects that you are working on?
My current projects include continuous brand promotion within the health and wellness field and working towards network television syndication.
8. We know you have a TV show that airs in NYC debuting Dec 23rd, tell us about your show and what type of guests you will have on the show.
Beginning Monday, December 23, 2013, The Dr. Joy Show will air in NYC Cable networks, Mondays weekly at 6pm. Each 30-minute episode focuses on one of seven wellness elements: physical, mental, nutritional, social, financial, environmental and spiritual. The guests are specially selected experts that are informative, entertaining and empowering without drama, foul language or violence.
9. What advice do you have for anyone who wants to get into the wellness industry?
The wellness industry is very broad. First, I recommend they determine/narrow their focus (passion) – for example: women, men, children, mature individuals, etc. Second, begin to seek certifications in the specific area, as this will build your credibility. Finally, seek advice from individuals that are accomplished in the field. Be Blessed, Stay Healthy!