- Posted December 25, 2013 by
Watertown, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- The 'Evil' Black River Flooding In Watertown, NY- April 18, 2014
- Will CNN's Jeff Zucker Replace 'News' With Reality TV?
- Does Raising the Minimum Wage Help U.S. and State Governments More Than It Helps Workers?
- Give 'Time for Some Traffic Problems' Bridget Kelly Immunity? Only If Testimony Leads to Christie and Sampson
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death, the U.S. Afghanistan Invasion,the CIA, and the U.S. and European Heroin Usage and Death Explosion
President Obama, America Needs an "October Sky" Moment
In fact, five years into his presidency, it seems more like the 8th year than the first of his second term.
No surprises he seems a little down.
With all the obstructionism from the GOP on even reasonable proposals, any normal person would have begun to feel depressed.
The country has noticed.
What we need from President Obama is an "October Sky" moment.
Remember the book, "Rocket Boys" that was made into the Movie, "October Sky"?
It was about a young man, Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son, that was inspired to pursue his dream of making better rockets rather than follow his father into the mine. There was adversity, as there often is, yet he prevailed. In the end, he won the national science fair and received a full scholarship to college.
He went on to become a NASA scientist and write several books that have inspired others.
Obama seems to have given in to the belief that he can only achieve what the GOP allows him to achieve.
He's become a pragmatist.
While, the circumstances of the obstructionists in the GOP may be reality, Nelson Mandela inspired a nation to free itself.
This can be Obama's greatest achievement should he correct course and use his greatest gift to inspire a nation with another "October Sky" moment.
We need to look up, Mr. President and you can inspire us to do just that.
Moses didn't cross the River Jordan either, but he did get his people to the water's edge after he inspired them to seek their freedom from the tyranny.