- Posted December 30, 2013 by
Phl warns users of illegal firecrackers
THE Philippine government on Monday warned the public that a crackdown would be implemented against anyone using banned firecrackers to welcome the New Year.
Speaking for the government, Assistant Health Secretary Dr. Eric Tayag announced that 244 firecracker-related injuries have already been recorded.
Tayag said that out of the 244 firecracker-related injuries, 238 were from actual firecrackers, most of which from piccolo --- the notorious and banned firecracker.
So far, Tayag said, only one firecracker ingestion has been recorded and five sustained wounds from stray bullets.
The Department of Health reported earlier that the first firecracker-related wound involved a nine-year old boy from Tondo, Manila. The boy sustained injuries due to piccolo blast.
In 2012, only 188 firecracker-related injuries were reported in the same period. Of that number, 185 were due to actual firecrackers, one firecracker ingestion and two from stray bullets.
Data from the Philippine National Police, however, showed that firecracker injuries were only at 40 while stray-bullet injuries were now at 11.
For this reason, the PNP has implemented gun muzzle-taping for firearms since December 28 while hospitals remain on alert, meaning hospital personnel should be ready for emergencies.