- Posted January 3, 2014 by
New York, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Zarah Nokie, an R&B/Soul Recording Artist from West Africa signs Artist Management contract with Yvonne Wilcox Pen Name, Music Publisher
- DPMG International, an Independent Record Label signs a Publishing Deal with ASCAP Music Publisher Yvonne Wilcox Pen Name
- I Am An Independent Business Woman Trapped By Codependency
- Being a Publicist SUCKS! Well Sometimes It Does
- Traveling with all the comforts of home
We Need To Put The Word BUSINESS Back In The Music Business
Somehow the word BUSINESS has been removed from MUSIC BUSINESS and SOME OF US (Music Industry Professionals) are just making MUSIC.
Some of US do not take the time to READ or LISTEN to advice from others. We are so quick to say "I GOT THIS, I BEEN MAKING MUSIC FOR YEARS!" Yeah and that is ALL you have been doing for years, JUST MAKING MUSIC no REAL $$$.
When we decide to work together and network more and socialize less then the Music Business will become a Business again for the Independent Recording Artists and Independent Record Labels. Or maybe not, maybe some people are cool with earning $2.70 or LESS every time they receive a statement from BMI or ASCAP oops forgot some Artists, Composers and Songwriters are NOT even a member of BMI or ASCAP what a shame but HEY YOU GOT THIS RIGHT? NOT!
I have been Managing Recording Artists since December 2009 and I am surprised at the number of Artists that do not write down their lyrics, do not copyright their music, they continue to make singles even whole albums with unpaid beats, they do not have contracts with the Beat Makers aka Music Producers, they do not have an agreement with Artists that are featured on singles, they do not belong to BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) or ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers).
I have spent a lot of my personal money to host events to try to help but my time and money has been wasted. I am fighting a losing battle. This is 2014 and I will continue to help Artists BUT only those that truly wants to be in the Music Business and not just making Music.