- Posted January 4, 2014 by
Phl to exhume bodies for identification
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the temporary burial sites will allow unrecognized bodies in Tacloban City to be exhumed for identification purposes.
Valte said this will be done once forensic teams from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Manila return to process them for identification.
“The temporary mass burial sites are being established. Under the setup, the bodies can be exhumed as needed," Valte told the state-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan (People’s Radio) in an interview.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima told Valte earlier that concerned agencies met on the matter and have agreed on the division of responsibilities.
She said the NBI Disaster Victim Identification Team returned to Tacloban City Thursday to resume the processing of the remains.
It can be recalled that only 400 of the more than 1,400 unidentified bodies had been laid to rest as of Friday.