About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view omeroscar's profile
    Posted January 4, 2014 by

    More from omeroscar

    Phl reassures aid for typhoon victims

    THE Philippine government on Saturday reassured families affected by killer typhoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan) that aid beyond relief goods will continue, especially to those that need it.
    Speaking for the Philippine government, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is now assessing the situation to come up with the appropriate assistance.
    The distribution of relief goods to typhoon-affected families in Central Philippines ends in March.
    But the government, Valte said, may extend not only shelter assistance to the affected families.
    "The DSWD is assessing the situation of the affected families. It will continue to give assistance, especially to those that need it," she told the state-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan (People’s Radio).
    Valte also said the government extended such help to families in Zamboanga City who were displaced by fighting between government forces and followers of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founding chairman Nur Misuari in September last year.
    It was learned that the DSWD will end its distribution of relief packs, including rice and canned goods, on March 31.
    The monster typhoon slammed into Central Philippines on November 8 and left more than 6,000 people dead, particularly in the provinces of Leyte and Samar, with more than 1,000 still missing.
    Add your Story Add your Story