- Posted January 6, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Universal health care for Filipinos proposed
A Philippine lawmaker on Monday filed a bill seeking to institutionalize a universal health care for all Filipino citizens 18 years old and above.
Rep. Winston Castelo (2nd District, Quezon City, Metro Manila), who authored House Bill 2312, said the the funds shall be sourced from the earnings of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) and Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).
"To better harness the people's future role in society, Filipinos should enjoy the entitlement of a universal health care," Castelo said.
He said the funds intended for charity by profit-generating public establishments of PAGCOR and PCSO can be utilized for the needed money for the universal health care program for Filipinos.
Castelo also said the PAGCOR and PCSO generate so much proceeds for government to the tune of billions of pesos annually.
He stressed that the government is already funding some government hospitals but most of these are located in urban centers.
"The bill finds the need for government to focus its resources and welfare programs to a segment of the Philippine population that is considered a rich resource of human capital," Castelo said.