About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

  • Click to view Aowens84's profile
    Posted January 6, 2014 by
    Southport, North Carolina

    More from Aowens84

    Keith Vidal... The Day After Disaster


    CNN PRODUCER NOTE     Keith Vidal’s family says they called police for help when their son was having a schizophrenic episode. But what happened on Sunday was something they never expected.

    The 18-year-old from Boiling Springs Lake, North Carolina, was tased by two police officers and then shot and killed by a third officer from a neighboring town, according to CNN affiliate WWAY.

    Vidal’s father, Mark Wilsey, told CNN affiliate WECT that his son had been holding an electric, six-inch screwdriver and threatening his mother. The family says the two officers from Boiling Lakes Spring Police Department had the situation under control until an officer from Southport arrived.

    The family told WECT that the two officers had their son on the ground after he was tased, when the third officer said, “We don’t have time for this.” The family says that’s when the officer shot their son.

    A Southport officer has been placed on paid administrative leave in connection with the shooting, Police Chief Jerry Dove said Tuesday. Authorities have declined to say whether he was the officer who shot Vidal.

    The Brunswick County sheriff's deputy sent to the scene has been "cleared," office spokeswoman Emily Flax said. A review conducted by its Office of Professional Standards found that the deputy did not violate policy, Flax added.

    Anthony Owens, a friend of the Wilsey/Vidal family, first shared this story with CNN iReport. “Keith was like a little brother to me, I have known him for about six years,” he said.

    “I was devastated by the news and am desperate to find some kind of good that could come from this horrible situation,” Owens told CNN.

    Owens took these photographs Monday of the hallway where Vidal was shot in his home the day before. The opinions in this piece belong to Anthony Owens.

    Read more about this story on CNN.
    - zdan, CNN iReport producer

    Yesterday I reported on the story of young Keith Vidal. A promising individual with the world at his fingers, Who was brutally murdered in the floor of his family home by a man sworn to protect and server his community. Unconfirmed reports have said that Detective Bryon Vassey with the Southport Police department was the officer in connection to the shooting. Southport Police Chief Jerry Dove Would not confirm the role Vassey played in the situation, but did announce that Detective Vassey had been placed on Paid leave for the duration of the investigation. After today's press conference which none of the family was invited to attend many felt that The Good Ole Boys Of Brunswick County were once again tring to sweep something huge under the rug.

    Let me stress this point before I go any further, I am not in any way form or fashion saying that all police are bad. The officers that protect and serve there communities as they would thier own familys are all over our great country. And it is a shame that one persons actions reflect badly on a whole group. No one was out of line that day Except for one person. The person who made a life or death decision in less than 30 seconds of being on scene.The Initial officers John Thomas of the Boiling Springs Lakes Police Department and an un named female officer from Brunswick County Sheriffs Department Had the situation fully under control. As heard in the C-com recording and reports from eyewitnesses. The Report Goes like this, The first unit on scene reported a confrontation in the hallway, but told Brunswick County Dispatchers several times that everything was OK. Unit 104 from Southport arrived on the scene at 12:48:41, fourteen minutes after the first officer had already been on scene. Seventy seconds later, Unit 104 radioed out that he had to fire shots at the subject in order to defend himself...
    I will leave all speculation to you... I am writing this with a bias heart. Keith Vidal Was like a little brother to me. This is a small town, everyone knows everyone.. This will never be forgotten..Keith will never be forgotten.
    I have been with the family Since I found out what happened. I was there to see his shoe marks on the wall, I was there to see the dried pool of blood on the floor where he took his last breath, I listened to his father standing there describing and pointing to the place inches from my feet where my friends life was taken in cold blood. My people reading this are going to say well I'll just wait for the official findings... Well you do that.. Like I said before we live in a small town and KNOW what happened.. The Family has been advised by their attorneys to not make any more statements.. BUT have not asked me to stop Preaching for Keith.. So with that Said I will Describe in detail the events of the day with no filter or manipulation of any kind, straight from the mouths of the people who were all crammed in that small hallway with Keith in his final moments.


    January 5, 2014 at approximately noon, The Family of 18 yr old Keith Vidal Called 911 to assist them in getting their mentally unstable child to the hospital for evaluation. When the first officers arrived on scene they were very calm cool and collected and approached Keith to negotiate with him.. 15 mins into the Negotation A Southport Officer entered the home and instructed the other officers to tase him and lets get him outta here. Reacting like anybody would Keith turned and tried to flee into the bathroom to his left.. Both of the officers tasers connected with Vidal and he collapsed backwards on the floor incapacitated from the electricity, as the 2 first responding officers jumped on top of the 5ft 5 inch 100 pound Vidal , and as His father attempted to help, the third officer reached around the father and shot Keith in the chest from 4 ft away. In a matter of less than five minuets they had wisked all officers involved away. Left with only a pool of blood on the floor and Keiths Timberland boot laying in the hall his family recieved the call that Keith had died. The investigation was offically on. As it sits now the family has still yet to be able to have access to their sons body.
    I can sit here and type all night about why or how or who, but none of that will bring Keith back.. What I can do is make DAMN sure that America does not stand for this kind of brutality.. Share this story people because next time it could be you...Help us bring Keith's Killer to justice..We will be starting a kick starter account tomorrow to help cover the costs of Keith's funeral..
    I will continue to report on this as more information becomes available. Please Remember a Share can save a life..
    The pictures included in this story are of the hallway in which this massacare accured.
    It also includes Keiths 18th birthday present. New Drums.
    Please feel free to visit Keiths youtube page and see his talent for yourself.. http://www.youtube.com/user/drumkeith1


    Anthony Owens



    Add your Story Add your Story