- Posted January 7, 2014 by
- Thailand launches the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) scheme
- The Royal Thai Embassy in Moscow supported Thai tourism industry in Russia in Project September 2015: Spotlight on Thailand in Moscow
- TAT supports Street Food Bangkok app to promote the tastes of Thainess
- Thai food chain plans 500 quick-service restaurants for Australia
- EU Cancels Visits, Halts Deal to Protest Thai Coup
The Chedi of the City Naval
Here is a quote taken off of the wall of the Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Center, in front of which stands the The Three Kings Monument.
This statue commemorates three Thai kings who were instrumental in the forming of Chiang Mai in 1296.
The center is a repository of the history of this Northern Thai city which was the center of a Lanna Culture that goes back over 700 years to the time when King Mangrai founded the civilization of the two rivers, the Kok and the Ping.
This anthropomorphizing of the urban structure saw Chiang Mai constituted of organs and body parts.
"In the past, it was believed that the city had a life of its own, its identity, its own mind and horoscope that determined the lifestyle of the city."
One of the few remaining examples of ancient architecture in Chiang Mai, is The Chedi of the City Navel, a relatively diminutive octagonal structure which lies on the South Side of the Cultural center.
Built in the 13th century this small but auspicious looking building once housed the royal palace and from its name existed at the very center of the body what the Japanese call the core or hara from which ki energy derives.
The transsexual behind the ticket counter, who nods to the intrusion of modernity, also has a curiously regal demeanor, as if he were the contemporary incarnation of some Lanna royal.
(Watercolor by Hallie Cohen)
The Chiang Mai City Arts and Culture Centre is located in an old building of elegant architectural design built in 1927.Standing on the location of a former royal hall, the building was used as the central administrative office of the Monthol Phayap administrative unit of Siam, and later as the Provincial Hall of Chiang Mai.