- Posted January 7, 2014 by
Watertown, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Wintry weather 2014
- Cheney Says "Nothing Americans Do Can Be Called Torture"- Because We're Not the 'WWII Japanese'
- Where Are the 'Good Democrats' Anymore to Stop the GOP's "Legislate by Extortion" Agenda?
- Update: Lake Effect Snow Sorm- Watertown, NY-Jan 7, 2015 - 2am-8am
- Lake Effect Snow Storm East of Lake Ontario- Watertown, NY-Jan 6, 2015
- Only the Dead Have Seen an End to the War on Afghanistan or Iraq or Viet Nam or..., President Obama
Lake Effect Storm In Watertown, New York- January 7, 2014
- hhanks, CNN iReport producer
These persistent snow bands can dump record amounts of snow in a few hours.
Lake Ontario is deeper and so remains open until late in the Winter. As the winds cross the lake, they pick up huge amounts of moisture.
Some areas of the Tug Hill area have gotten 8 feet from one snow storm.
But the winds are coming from the west South West today which has shifted the bands of snow to the North, right over Watertown.
The video and first photo were taken today at 1:30pm. The second video was from last night at about 6pm.
This storm is expected to last until 1pm on Wednesday. So bu then, the National weather is suggesting we may get a total accumulation of 6 feet with more snow predicted to fall over the Tug Hill of as much as 8 feet.
I'll try to get some pictures of that area as the weather clears and driving is again possible.
No unnecessary travel has been advised but as you can see, Northern New Yorkers are daunted by a 'little snow'.
I decided to work at home on a menu design today and go out to see clients on Thursday.
Past snow storms in Watertown, NY- blizzard of 1977