- Posted January 9, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Wintry weather 2014
Baby, It's Cold Outside
1. Be prepared. Make sure you have enough heating fuel and food in your homes. Make an emergency kit with water, non-perishables, flashlights, and whatever else may be needed if the power goes out.
2. Minimize travel to what is really essential.
3. Wear proper clothing, including hats and gloves. Dress in layers.
4. If the kids are playing outdoors, have them come inside periodically. They are having too much fun and will not do it on their own.
5. When you participate in winter sports such as skiing, wear helmets.
6. Stay hydrated.
7. Do not use alcohol or drugs before outdoor winter activities.
8. Get the flu shot if you have not already done so.
9. Never go ice skating alone.
10. Never go sledding near roadways.
11. Wear sunscreen.
12. Make sure the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your homes are working.
These are just a few ways that we can keep ourselves healthy and safe. Perhaps the best tip of all is just to use common sense.