- Posted January 15, 2014 by
The Risks Of Being In A Construction Site
If you are considering a job in the construction industry, you should be aware of the risks that you may encounter.
What are the risks?
• Falling incidents – in a construction area, there may be instances when you are going to be lifted through machines. Falls are very common for this kind of job, some experience minor injuries, while others need major operations. The good news is, OSHA provides solution to this problem by requiring companies to utilize fall protection equipments such as hand rails, toe boards, stair rails, harness lines, safety nets, boards to cover holes, and clean conditions of floors.
• Injuries caused by explosives – it is normal to use explosives in a construction site. Unfortunately, accidents are never expected. Being extra cautious is not an assurance that you won’t experience accidents in the field. An explosive could suddenly malfunction and you won’t even know the cause. There are minor and major injuries caused by explosives.
• Asbestos related disease – in the earlier times, asbestos was widely used by construction companies. However, studies have shown that it causes several illnesses and diseases to humans. In a construction area, being exposed to asbestos is a high possibility, therefore, careful measures should be observed.
• Inhaling of dust – there are a lot of airborne particles that construciton workers are not aware of. There are lead dust, gases and vapors, which could cause harm to the health of the person. Inhaling these particles can affect the nose, the throat, the upper respiratory tract, the respiratory system, and even the lungs.
• Exposure to high level of noise – long term exposure to a high level of noise could cause ear damage, even permanent loss of hearing.
All these risks have been experienced by some, but not all workers. You may face these risks every day, but being extra cautious and following the safety code set by regulatory boards is the best thing to do. Being in a construction area is not all about risks. It’s about turning someone’s dream into a reality as well.