- Posted January 16, 2014 by
Phl city declares measles outbreak
The provincial government unanimously approved a resolution declaring an outbreak of the said viral infectious disease as 62 probable measles cases were reported from January 1 to 14 this year, higher compared to the 23 cases reported in 2013.
"The declaration is indispensable to facilitate holistic and swift responsive actions to protect the health, welfare and well-being of the people of Olongapo as well our neighbor communities," the resolution stated.
Dr. Jessie Manuel, hospital administrator of the James Gordon Hospital, said patients with suspected measles cases are continuously arriving in their hospital.
Manuel said there are 80 patients with suspected measles cases treated at the hospital with one confirmed death since January 1.
He said at least 90 percent of the patients with measles are below five years old with the youngest at one-month old.
"We are giving patients with strong dozes of antibiotics to address complications such as pneumonia," he said.
He also said that they have already identified areas in the hospitals where the patients need to be isolated.
"Measles vaccination is free in health centers," Manuel said.
With the outbreak, the city health workers are now conducting house-to-house vaccination and information drive to prevent the spread of measles.
Dr. Eric Tayag of the Department of Health (DOH) declared a measles out throught Metro Manila in December last year.