- Posted January 16, 2014 by
Boca Chica, Panama
One US tourist dead in Panamanian hotel explosion
The explosion was likely caused by a backup generator that automatically turned on causing electrical sparks while fuel storage tanks were being replenished. Panama Sport Fishing Lodge hotel in the city of Boca Chica incurred the fire on the evening of Tuesday, January 14.
Authorities moved quickly to tackle the blaze and clear up the scene. Authorities were barring tourists from entering the area around the hotel until the fire was extinguished.
A video clip of the event can be seen here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXpOS_r3y8.