- Posted January 19, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Photo essays: Your stories in pictures
- Over 6.000 students in Skopje protested against the State Exam proposal
- Students in Skopje with protest march on the International students day
- "Pivo Fest 2014": The biggest beer festival on the Balkans region
- Wilson Kipsang to promote Wizz Air Skopje Marathon 2014, biggest announced ever in Macedonia
- Vevcani Carnival - custom over 1.400 years old
Vodici in Skopje: Daniel Doncevski caught the Holy Cross in river Vardar
- zdan, CNN iReport producer
Daniel Doncevski from Skopje settlement Madzari caught the Holy Cross today when the Head of the Macedonian Orthodox Church (MPC), HH Stefan, threw the cross in the waters of Vardar River on the occasion of Bogojavlenie Vodici (the Baptism of Christ) in Skopje.
This is the third time for Doncevski to pull out the Holy Cross from Vardar River.
This year cross-catching ceremony was marred by violation of the rules, namely some of the participants dived into the water before the official start of the competition. MPC said the competition awards would be reduced next year, as the event should symbolize a spiritual birth.
The celebration of Vodici kicked off earlier today with a liturgy in St. Dimitrija Church in Skopje. Afterwards HH Stefan performed the Great Theophany Blessing of Water, dipping the Holy Cross and blessing the water of the Vardar River. It is considered that the one who catches the cross will enjoy happiness, health and welfare all year long.
The traditional ceremony of throwing the Holy Cross is being held throughout Macedonia, with the largest one in Ohrid.
The holiday marks two events in Jesus Christ’s life, according to the Christian Bible. The first event was when the three wise men, or kings, visited infant Jesus. The second event was when St. John the Baptist baptized Jesus.