- Posted January 20, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- Russian sanctions against the U.S. - it sounds veeeeery scaring!
- Yuriy SERGEYEV, Ambassador of Ukraine to the UN: "Today at UNSC wasn't a voice of Russia, but of USSR"
- PHOTO: Protesters in Ukraine support demonstrators in Venezuela
- VIDEO: Kiev: the opposition is over, but political conflict continues
- Situation in Kiev has deteriorated: more than 25 people were killed
The clashes in Kiev are escalating
- sarahbrowngb, CNN iReport producer
KIEV, UKRAINE - JANUARY 20, CNN iReport - Downtown of Kiev, Ukraine. The clashes between Euromaidan protesters and Ukrainian police continue for a second day. It began on January 19th right after protesters tried to get closer to the Ukrainian Parliament Building (Verkhovna Rada) and police blocked this attempt.
Monday: women are drumming on metal barrels in the same time men are shooting to a police forces with a fireworks. Some of them are using pump shotgun. Young adults are throwing Molotov cocktail. Protesters built a wooden catapult. Ukrainian police throws noise grenades and shoots people with traumatic gun.
Protester Mykola BONDAR said: "These rubber bullets go in various colors. Some of them cause just minor injuries another can cause grievous bodily injuries. However, all this should target lower torso but in many cases bullet reach head and chest".
Burned buses that use to be a riot police movers, became improvised barricades. The conflict between peaceful protesters and police forces escalated right after new laws has been passed restricting human rights of the Ukrainian citizens.
Verkhovna rada, Ukrainian Parliament passed these laws with numerous violations of the rules with a quick show of hands that hasn't even being counted.
Video by "Hromadske TV"
Serhii Andrushko, Nikita Mekenzin, Oleksandr Nazarov, Yakiv Lyubchych and Maryana Pochtar