- Posted January 20, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl president accused of bribery
In a televised privilege speech, Revilla disclosed that Aquino met him at his official residence only to convince him to secure a guilty vote for Corona.
The movie actor-turned politician also alleged that Aquino meddled with his decision regarding the impeachment of the former chief justice.
Corona was put on trial last year for his failure to disclose to the public his statement of assets, liabilities, and net worth (SALN). Senators who voted him guilty were said to have been “bribed” to do so.
Revilla is facing plunder charges before the Office of the Ombudsman, along with Senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada in connection with the P10-billion “pork barrel” scan.
In Malacanang Palace, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. Revilla was only asked to explain where his priority development assistance fund (PDAF) allocations were spent.
However, Coloma said, Revilla diverted from the real issue involved in the PDAF scam instead of getting straight to the point.
“The main issue here is the proper use of public funds for which Sen. Revilla is accountable,” Coloma said.
He added: “It is his duty to start explaining to our people how his PDAF allocation was actually spent.”
On the supposed meeting, Coloma said the President merely asked Revilla to decide the case on the basis of its merits and as Revilla mentioned in his speech, he replied that he will “do what is right,” which was to convict Corona.
Coloma also clarified that the President met Revilla to verify persistent reports that the senators were being pressured by interest groups to influence the outcome of the impeachment trial.