- Posted January 22, 2014 by
- VIDEO: João, the Blue-and-Yellow Macaw, welcomes visitors to celebrate the Independence Day of Ukraine.
- VIDEO: Ukraine's Ambassador to the UN believes that Russia is funding and supplying weapons to militants in eastern Ukraine
- VIDEO: Aircrafts of WWII in "The Greatest Show on Turf"
- iReport Interview: Ask an astronaut. About Relationship
- PHOTO: Russian sanctions against the U.S. - it sounds veeeeery scaring!
Opposition in Ukraine - reportage from the police side
KIEV, UKRAINE - 22 JANUARY, CNN iReport - Opposition in Ukraine - reportage from the police side.
On previous video CNN iReport you saw clashes and everyday life of the protesters. This video shows an other side of the conflict. The riot police officers in poor weather conditions for hours are staying almost motionless and have to warm by fire. The clashes continue for three days and nights. The bells of the Mykhailyvsky Cathedral can be heard when clashes get calmer. Last time they rang in XII century when Mongol-Tatars invaded Kiev.
Ukrainian government tried to bring more police forces from other regions of the country but local people are blocking them. Some commanders refused to leave; some mothers, wives and relatives of the police force officers and soldiers are organizing a protest against government's decision.
Protester in the uniform of the UN peacekeepers tries to convince the riot police not use violence: "We all know what are the consequences of the dictatorship. You parents that lived in the USSR already know it, your grandparents know that as well, and now you protect this authorities. I'm just telling you the historical truth!" the man says.
Yesterday UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Ukrainian authorities to ensure the principles of freedom of expression and peaceful protest.
UPD: Just an hour ago from Kiev reported - on the street Hrushevskoho in clashes, police shot and killed one of the protesters. Police forces launched an attack.
Video by "Hromadske TV"
Oleksandr Nazarov, Maryana Pochtar