- Posted January 22, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Filipino children facing health risks
In House Bill 3286, Rep. Rufus Rodriguez (2nd District, Cagayan de Oro City) said there’s a need to clearly differentiate and identify the risks to children and other vulnerable sectors in the setting of environmental and public health standards.
Rodriguez said public health and safety greatly depends on the awareness of citizens and local officials of the toxic dangers that exist in their homes, communities and neighborhoods.
"Our current standards for environmental pollutants fail to protect or even consider risks to children and other vulnerable subpopulations," Rodriguez said.
He also said the bill should institute the necessary mechanisms for ensuring and supplying data that would allow adequate quantification and evaluation of environmental pollutants specific to these sectors, providing information on the risks to children and the risks to other vulnerable sub-pollutants.
“In so doing, the citizens will be able to exercise their right to know and make informed decisions to protect their families," Rodriguez stressed.
The bill mandates the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Agriculture (DA) to issue appropriate environmental and public health standards with an adequate margin of safety protecting children and other vulnerable subpopulations that are at greater risk from exposure to environmental pollutants.