- Posted January 22, 2014 by
- Ethiopian Co-pilot Hailemedhin’s actions dominate the international media forum
- Ethiopian journalists have successfully established a new Journalist Association
- Article 19.org : Freedom of expression at risk in Ethiopia
- EPRDF/TPLF will charge Ethiopian Officials who give Interviews to ESAT with Terrorism
- EPRDF/ TPLF in a Preemptive mood to Silence Media ahead of Ethiopia's 2015 "election"
Thousands protest against 'sex game' rape ruling
by TATEK TEKLEYOHANNES
Tell us your storyThousands gathered at the Medborgarplatsen in Stockholm, Saturday, to protest against the acquittal of a 27-year-old man who admitted to using violence during sexual intercourse despite the woman's resistance.
Activists and journalists chanted and held banners aimed at law makers to convey their concern at the verdict. In the case of the 27-year-old, the man defended his use of force by saying he thought he was involved in a violent sex game in which he was the dominant player.
Activists have also collected thousands of signatures to petition for reform of sexual assault laws, demanding the inclusion of the "mutual consent" standard. Under this proposal, consent for sex would need to be explicit from both individuals in a way that could be proven in court.