- Posted January 22, 2014 by
Nantucket Island, Massachusetts
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Wintry weather 2014
- STERLACE and DURANGO Bring Home the Gold for the United States at the ISU Adult Figure Skating International Competition in Obersdorf Germany
- Shay Sterlace and Yovanny Durango win 2014 US Adult Figure Skating Championship title by 20 points
- Adult Figure Skating National Championships- Adult Dance Competition
- February Hail and Thunder storms create double rainbow over Nantucket
- Nantucket Summer
Winter Storm Janus Closes Down Island
Winter Storm Janus has arrived on Nantucket. She has brought with her debilitating winds, causing blowing snow and blizzard conditions. Additionally the massive drop in temperature has made roads icy and travel treacherous. All travel to and from the island has been suspended, as the island remains under a travel warning. Most local businesses remain closed and all school has been canceled, with many islanders losing power at some point during the storm and some remain without power currently.
As of noon 1/22/2014, it’s snowing and foggy at 88% humidity. Currently it is 22 degrees, but with the wind feels like it is -6 degrees, with winds at 36 mph from the north and gusting over 50 plus MPH. The island remains under a Blizzard warning until 2pm, but could be extended as the afternoon wears on. With the focus now being shifted to a coastal flood warning, this remains a concern in the low laying areas. With the threat of rising seas and temperatures predicted to plummet into the single digits this evening. Stay tuned to CNN for more about what is happening in Nantucket.