- Posted January 24, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl checks abuses vs Filipinos in KL
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the consul general dispatched an assistance team to get information on reported cases and raise them to Malaysian authorities.
Malaysian authorities began their crackdown against Filipinos illegally working in Kuala Lumpur on January 21.
With the help of the Philippine embassy in Malaysia, Coloma said the government was able to send home more than 5,000 Filipino workers staying illegally in that country in the last quarter of last year.
He said Philippine authorities negotiated with their Malaysian counterparts to help overstaying Filipinos and assisted them in fixing their documents.
Filipino officials accompanied them and provided free transportation to the Malaysian immigration center in Putrajaya, Coloma said.
The Philippine embassy also negotiated to lower the fine for overstaying Filipinos from 30 ringgit (about $10) a day to 500 ringgit for total maximum penalty, he said.
“While the announced crackdown was going on, we still tried to help them. We advised the Filipinos there to be ready always with their documents,” Coloma said, adding that the government continues coordinating with the Philippine consul in Malaysia to make sure that no abuses are being committed.