Share this on:
About this iReport
  • Not vetted for CNN

  • Posted January 27, 2014 by
    Omak, Washington
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    The written word: Your personal essays

    Was given a secound chance

    Hello my name is Dayla Johnson I am 24 years old. I had something happen to me 2 ½ years ago that changed my life forever. On Friday June 24 2011 in the evening I noticed a spot on my right arm above the elbow. I showed my Grandma who I have been living with. On Saturday June 25th 2011 in the afternoon my Grandma called my mom and wanted her to come up and look at my arm. When my mom got here I had a small pencil eraser sized sore that was black in the middle and had a red ring around it which was warm and very very sore. My grandma took me to the ER where we were told it was a mosquito bite that I had been picking at. My grandma told them that it was impossible because it hurt so bad that I would not touch or allow anyone else touch the spot. They put on some Neosporin and wrapped it told me to follow up with her doctor or come back if it got worse. Sunday my mom looked at it and did not think it was looking any worse. At 3:00a.m. My mom was called and my grandma thought she needed to take me back to the ER. My grandma called them and was instructed to wait a few more hours to go see me regular Doctor. When I went into the clinic I was gave a shot of high dose antibiotics and gave a couple prescriptions and told to come back in the morning for another shot. By noon that day I ended up in the ER and my arm had gotten very bad with some black/brown spots on the back. The ER doctor said I should of already been admitted to the hospital. They were treating my spot as a spider bite. Once I got into my room my new nurse came in and said she would be right back. She went and got the doctor who got another doctor and that’s when they decided I needed to be sent out of Omak. I was sent to Wenatchee where I was taken into surgery. My family was told that I was being treated for Cellulites Necrotizing Fasciitis a flesh eating disease. After heading to surgery that’s the last thing I remember then waking up in ICU at Harborview is Seattle. But heres the rest of the story. Surgery went good. My muscles where all fine and working good and that was all that was left of on my arm was muscles. I went into surgery the next day where they had to remove some more dead tissue and skin. They felt it went well and I should be able to keep my arm after a lot of skin grafts. My step dad Larry and my mom where with me until 12:30 am Tuesday night and all was well. My mom called my nurse who said I was doing good but my fever jumped to 102.5. When my parents got ready to go me my doctor called and wanted to know where they were because they needed to get me shipped out to Harborview asap the infection took off again and was up into my shoulder. They flew me by plane and by the time they got there they had already taken me into surgery. A nurse came and talked to them and told them I was very very sick and a good change they would have to amputate my arm, which they did clear up to my shoulder. I made it thru surgery and was taken in again the next few days to make sure they did not need to take more dead skin or tissue. I was in ICU up until Sunday afternoon where I got to go into another room which meant I had improved and they would finally say I was stable. It was such a horrible feeling for my family when the doctor told them that they got there just in the nick of time. A few hours later and I would not have made it. Also had another doctor tell my family that when I arrived the huge team of surgeons did not expect me to make it thru the surgery. I finally had the surgery to cover my wounds with skin grafts, The doctors thought I would be there for 2-3 months I was released a day short of being there a month. In 2013 I had my shoulder rebuilt. This has been a long road for me and still have a ways to go. I never gave up am I’m so grateful for being alive. To me I was given a second change at life. I have wanted to get my story out there and tell it. Never give up on your dreams. No matter if you have a disability or anything you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Don’t let people judge you. Thank you for your time hope to get my story out there. Dayla Jo Johnson

    What do you think of this story?

    Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
    Be and editor! Choose an option below:
      Awesome! Put this on TV! Almost! Needs work. This submission violates iReport's community guidelines.


    Log in to comment

    iReport welcomes a lively discussion, so comments on iReports are not pre-screened before they post. See the iReport community guidelines for details about content that is not welcome on iReport.

    Add your Story Add your Story