- Posted January 27, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- At least 10 people killed as Kyiv clashes continues
- Ukraine Today: Fourth official death among protesters, Yanukovych offers job to opposition, storming of Ukrainian house
- Yanukovych lost control over 7 cities, 5 are blocked by protesters
- Violence surges in Ukraine: tens of people were killed, kidnapped and tortured
95 people were arrested during brutal sweeps in Zaporizhia, Dnipropetrovsk and Cherkasy
During brutal sweeps in Zaporizhia, Dnipropetrovsk and Cherkassy, which took place 26 January, more than 95 protesters were detained by police, 30 activists were injured and taken to hospital, officials said. Peaceful citizens who were passing by, standing at the bus stops or waiting for friends were severely beaten, witnesses said.
For attempt to seize local administration in Zaporizhia 46 people were arrested and 12 injured, according to police. Seven juvineles and five students are among detainees. Sweep occured after protesters cleaned snow in front of local administration, built a tent and blocked Lenin Avenue. Thirty seven activists were arrested in Dnipropetrovsk. According to official figures, 23 protesters and 21 policemen were injured, 7 were hospitalised. Fifteen protesters were arrested for two months.
Eleven people - injured during clashes with «Berkut» in Cherkasy - asked for medical treatment. «Berkut damaged his kidney. It's a torture, not security forces», MP Iryna Heraschenko said about state of health of one of the activists. Police did not comment on their actions. During the sweep of protesters, who tried to storm the local administration in Cherkasy, police has beaten local and international journalists.