- Posted January 28, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Abandoned Royal Navy Buildings in Bermuda
- Verybecoming, CNN iReport producer
After the Second World War the dockyard was no longer deemed relevant to Royal Navy operations and was closed in 1952. (A small base, HMS Malabar, continued to operate until this base was finally closed in 1995.) Most of the Dockyard, along with other Admiralty and War Office land in Bermuda was sold to the Bermuda Government.
The abandoned buildings on Maria Hill were later used as pig and chicken farms... cages and farm equipment may still be seen as well as many bones. The old buildings are now eerily riddled with Indian Laurel vines, holding on like giant fingers as nature has now reclaimed this land as its own.