- Posted January 31, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Typhoon to hit 19 Philippine provinces
Weather forecaster Aldczar Aurelio said that as of 4 p.m., tropical storm “Basyang” was located at 201 km east of Surigao, the capital city of Surigao del Norte (10.1°N 127.3°E) in Southern Philippines.
According to Aurelio, the typhoon’s wind strength increased from 65 kilometers per hour (kph) Friday morning to 85 kph in the afternoon, while its gustiness rose from 80 kph to 100 kph.
He said “Basyang” continues to move westward while its movement also accelerated from 30 kph to 33 kph.
Aurelio stressed that if “Basyang” does not change course it is expected to make a landfall late Friday evening or early Saturday morning over Southern Leyte in Central Philippines and Surigao del Norte in Southern Philippines.
With its speed, Basyang is expected to be out of Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) by Sunday evening and will head towards Vietnam, Aurelio said.
"Residents living in low-lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signal No. 2 and No. 1 are alerted against possible flash floods and landslides.
Likewise, those living in coastal areas under signal No. 2 are alerted against storm surges," the weather bureau warned.