- Posted January 31, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Short supply of doctors in Phl feared
In an interview, PMA president Leo Olarte told ABS-CBN Channel 2 in an interview that the “internationally-suggested” ratio is one doctor per 100 population, adding that Philippines must, therefore, have one million doctors, given the population of 100 million.
Olarte disclosed that the Philippines has only 70,000 “active” PMA members to serve some 100 million Filipinos.
“The growth in our population should be complemented by the increase in the number of doctors. Our population is expected to rise so the problem on the shortage of doctors will surely worsen,” Olarte warned.
The Commission on Population expects a population of 100 million by the third or last quarter of 2014.
“Over the past 10 years, there were around 10,000 doctors who shifted to nursing and then worked in other countries,” he said, adding that only 70,000 of some 130,000 licensed doctors are still practicing.
Due to the non-implementation of Magna Carta for Health Workers, Olarte said some of the doctors have either retired or emigrated.
“There is really a brain drain in the health sector,” he concluded.