- Posted January 31, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Do you eat ethically?
- Theatre, Adventure, Mystery - Downtown Gettysburg, Maryland
- Seventh of nine children - Nigerian entrepreneur Jude Mmereole now living in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Prolific corporate trainer Aaron S. Robertson is impacting the world around him as head of online marketing at Spectrum Communications
- CEO Ken Morrison is impacting the world around him by contributing to the development of the Mid-Atlantic region’s economy.
- New York based Indie filmmaker Vinay Pujara joins CNN iReport
Recipe – Vegan Sheppard's Pie
RECIPE – VEGAN SHEPPARD’S PIE
-ONE MEDIUM CAULIFLOWER HEAD
-ONE MEDIUM PASNIP
-½ CUP OF ALMOND MILK (APPROXIMATE)
5-8 OZ OF TVP (TEXTURED SOY/VEGETABLE PROTEIN) CHUNKY VARIETY (CAN SUBSTITUTE DRIED OR BAKED TOFU)
-½ RED PEPPER
-1 LARGE CLOVE OF GARLIC
PEPPER, RED PEPPER FLAKES, CHIPOLTE OR CHILI PEPPER, SOY OR TAMARI SAUCE, BASIL, THYME, ROSEMARY
-½ CUP WATER OR VEGETABLE STOCK
-4 CUPS HOT WATER
OVEN PROOF BAKING CONTAINER
SET OVEN FOR 375 degrees
PUT THE TVP IN THE HOT WATER AND LET SOAK FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES, SET ASIDE.
IN A BLENDER, CRUMBLE THE WHOLE HEAD OF CAULIFLOWER & PARSNIP, SO IT IS LIKE SNOW. REMOVE AND PUT IN A MICROWAVABLE CONTAINER, MICROWAVE FOR 2-3 MINUTES, LET COOL. WHEN COOL, SQUEEZE OUT THE MOISTURE THROUGH CHEESE CLOTH OR A CLEAN TOWEL.
PUT THIS MIXTURE IN A FOOD PROCESSOR WITH THE ALMOND MILK, AND MIX UNTIL SMOOTH. REMOVE WHEN IT IS IN A “MASH POTATO” CONSISTENCY, SEASON WITH PEPPER, THYME – SET ASIDE.
CHOP THE ONION, RED PEPPER, CARROT, GARLIC, ETC. SAUTE IN THE COCONUT OIL, ADD SEASONINGS (PINCH OR MORE, OF EVERYTHING, LIGHTLY WITH THE CHIPOLTE, UNLESS YOU LIKE IT SPICY) AND A LITTLE SOY.
SAUTE’ FOR ABOUT 7 MINUTES, ADD THE TVP, STIR WELL, ADD WATER OR VEGETABLE STOCK TO CREATE A GRAVY, BE SURE “NOT” TO MAKE IT TOO WATERY.
PLACE THE MIXTURE IN AN OVEN PROOF CONTAINER, PLACE CAULIFLOWER MIXTURE ON TOP AND SMOOTH IT OUT WITH A SPATUAL.BAKE FOR 20-30 MINUTES, UNTIL BUBBLY. LET COOL AND SERVE WITH A VEGETABLE, LIKE STEAMED BROCCOLI.
This recipe was Contributed By Steve Black. Steve is a professional magician (www.SteveBlackEntertainment.com) based in the USA outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.