- Posted February 3, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Aquino twits Philippine media
In his speech at the 114th anniversary of the Manila Bulletin in Manila, Aquino requested the local media not to trump up the worst news possible and cause despair among the public.
"This is what I have always asked of media: to raise the level of public discourse, instead of fueling unnecessary speculation and negativity that contribute to national apathy," he said.
But Aquino clarified this does not mean he wants media to report only the good news, adding that it should give the public a true accounting of the facts, and reason enough to be optimistic.
Aquino said that in the wake of the devastation brought by super Typhoon "Yolanda" (Haiyan) last year, Filipinos volunteered to repack relief goods and extend whatever help they can.
"The naysayers, the irrational critics, the vested interests who measure their success through their ability to sacrifice the well-being of the nation to pursue their own, selfish agenda—all of them have been left in the dust by a nation that no typhoon, no faction, and no irresponsible columnist can break," the President concluded