- Posted February 4, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl approves use of sign language
Authored by Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and with an overwhelming 208 votes, the plenary approved House Bill 1214 aimed at amending Section 22 of the Republic Act (RA) No. 7277 or the Magna Carta for Persons with Disabilities.
Under the measure, television stations are mandated to provide Filipino sign language insets.
If possible, the bill wants closed captions or subtitles in at least two newscast programs every day and special programs covering events with national importance.
The bill also provides that television networks may choose to provide for Filipino sign language insets in other programs such as cultural affairs, livelihood and children programs.
"With the advances of information technology and the relevance of television programs, motion pictures and other audio-visual presentation as tools of learning, there is a need to enable persons with hearing impairments to take advantage of such technology and enjoy audio-visual presentations with their seemingly unbounded innovation," the bill explains.